Kelenic.....breakout year and worth trading for?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Kelenic.....breakout year and worth trading for?

#1 Post by CubFan »

12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league using OBP, W+QS. Been offered Kelenic $19 for my Verdugo $16 and Jon Gray $4 (needs a contract extension next year). My other OF are Judge, Ward, Mullins, Grossman with Rooker at UT. My other SPs are Gausman, Ryan, Lynn, Wells and Bryce Miller.

It appears Kelenic's change in approach and swing have taken hold and his breakout may be sustainable. However, his K-rate remains elevated but he is making better/harder contact. Verdugo may be in a breakout as well. I was getting concerned about Gray and wondering if he was hiding an injury given his lack of K's and high BB rate. However, last night his FB and slider saw a noticeable uptick in velo and he went slider heavy with excellent results (unfortunately I benched him). As much as I'm a believer in Kelenic and wanted him in the auction am wondering if I'm giving up too much in the trade. The increase in HRs, RBIS and SBs from Kelenic would be nice but lose Verdugo's runs and OBP. Rest of my offense is Jansen, Torkelson, Walls, Chapman, Bichette, Brandon Lowe, Eziekel Duran.

Thoughts?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Kelenic.....breakout year and worth trading for?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

The league adjusted to Kelenic; now he needs to adjust back, hopefully faster this time.

Verdugo appears to have found something as well, he's playing with more of a confident maturity, so to say Verdugo has the higher floor is misleading, as that implies less upside. I suspect Kelenic's ceiling is higher, but his floor is lower, with the difference of their floors more disparate than their ceilings.

For me, it's a matter of giving up Gray for the chance of a higher ceiling.

Keep in mind, a team full of slightly lesser players with a smaller week to week standard deviation will have a better record than a team with players posting a slightly higher average points per week, but a bigger standard deviation.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord