Volpe and Oscar Colas FAAB

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Volpe and Oscar Colas FAAB

#1 Post by CubFan »

Both hitters will be available for FAAB. I'm usually leery bidding for big name rookies as they typically underperform what it costs to get them. Case in point I got Greene for $28 last season. Never lived up to his hype.

Volpe's huge spring has led to him being over-hyped IMO. Plus can he handle the NY spotlight with no AAA games played? But he brings pop and big time SB that likely won't be seen coming from the minors this season. And Colas has a lot of pop but whose plate discipline is a bit lacking plus it looks like he'll be in a platoon (strong side).

It's a 12-team AL only 5x5 H2H OBP league with 100 FAAB units and with max $310 team salary (initial is 260). I need to replace Story and Baddoo. So what percent of FAAB would you throw at these two (I understand you don't know my league and dynamics. Typically most are conservative while I and a couple others are more aggressive early in the year)? 25-30% for Volpe and 15-20% for Colas?? Or in Colas' case would one be better off bidding less for Heim, Nate Eaton, Noda, Franmil Reyes, Josh Smith....the latter 4 have pt issues. Side note.....because I bid strong early in the season I've been lacking FAAB at the end of the year the last 3 seasons and keep saying I won't do it again. But is this time different with Volpe?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

Re: Volpe and Oscar Colas FAAB

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Obviously this depends on your roster to some degree, but of the two I would spend up to 30% for Volpe.

Colas has more power potential, but still there is a lot of swing and miss there.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Re: Volpe and Oscar Colas FAAB

#3 Post by CubFan »

Thanks for your take Perry. That's kinda where I was heading. Wasn't sure if Todd would reply as it may border on info he sets aside for his clients, which I've been in the past for a number of years.

Figure both will have season long adjustments to make. Dunno how much rope Yanks will give Volpe. Colas is starting out in a platoon. Primary fall back options for Colas (UT spot) are Heim, Walls, Colas then bottom barrel types like Franmil, Josh Smith, Meyers, Noda.

You're a prospect guy......who do you like better as a stash for this season: Royce Lewis or Drew Waters? Lewis seems like a no-brainer but he has a growing injury history.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -