1st FAAB

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
baymax316
Low-A

1st FAAB

#1 Post by baymax316 »

I have some FAAB related questions....

I am looking to add some OF depth. I was thinking of adding one of Kole Calhoun, Brad Miller or Mickey Moniak. I was thinking this is the proper order for the selection but Moniak has been on a tear (5 HRs). I read his new hitting coach altered his stance and his approach. He is still 24 and a former 1st round pick. But Calhoun and Miller, while older, have a clear path to everyday AB's. Thoughts?

Also is Cessa, Greg Holland, Spencer Patton or Jordan Hicks worth a gamble to get saves?

Finally is Pivetta or Elieser Hernandez worth a spot?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 1st FAAB

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

baymax316 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 3:58 pm I have some FAAB related questions....

I am looking to add some OF depth. I was thinking of adding one of Kole Calhoun, Brad Miller or Mickey Moniak. I was thinking this is the proper order for the selection but Moniak has been on a tear (5 HRs). I read his new hitting coach altered his stance and his approach. He is still 24 and a former 1st round pick. But Calhoun and Miller, while older, have a clear path to everyday AB's. Thoughts?
What are you looking for in terms of depth? Someone solid to plug in or stashing upside? There is usually a Calhoun or Miller type available each week, but you may have to wait the rest of the week to pick them up if you don't have someone else on reserve. if you're looking for the out of nowhere surprise, it could be Moniak. This isn't an endorsement, per se, just saying he checks the boxes. He has prospect pedigree, has made recent changes and is on a team that could use someone somewhat adept defensively, especially in center.
Also is Cessa, Greg Holland, Spencer Patton or Jordan Hicks worth a gamble to get saves?
They all are, depending on what you need and if you're looking for a short term and possible long term supply.

Finally is Pivetta or Elieser Hernandez worth a spot?
Depends completely on the context (league size, format, transaction frequency, size of reserve, who they'd replace, etc.).
[/quote]
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

baymax316
Low-A

#3 Post by baymax316 »

Sorry - here are the details.

12 team mixed 5x5 roto league with OBP/SLG/HR/RP/SB & ERA/WHIP/K/QS/SV

My OF is Acuna/Soto/Schwarber/L Gurriel/Kiki Hernandez/H Bader/A Slater and Tyrone Taylor. I was hoping to add another OF bat for depth. I'm leaning towards Moniak because as you eluded to the other guys will always be on the wire.

I have Iglesias. i also have Sewald and Robert Suarez plus Whitlock and C Green. Was hoping to add more saves and was wondering if Cessa, Holland/Patton, Hicks are in line of saves. I have read multiple sites and all have differing opinions. How would you rank them for most likely to get saves?

Finally I have Urias/Verlander/Eovaldi/Ober/Skubal as my starters plus Clevinger, Flaherty and Bauer who are not available to me now. I was curious if Pivetta or Hernandez are necessary adds or should I worry about mining for saves.

I was thinking of dropping Colin Moran and/or Bohm for add any of the above palyers.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

baymax316 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 5:18 pm

My OF is Acuna/Soto/Schwarber/L Gurriel/Kiki Hernandez/H Bader/A Slater and Tyrone Taylor. I was hoping to add another OF bat for depth. I'm leaning towards Moniak because as you eluded to the other guys will always be on the wire.
Personally, I'd replace Slater. The categories are very power heavy, but Taylor has a chance to be useful if Cain gets hurt.
I have Iglesias. i also have Sewald and Robert Suarez plus Whitlock and C Green. Was hoping to add more saves and was wondering if Cessa, Holland/Patton, Hicks are in line of saves. I have read multiple sites and all have differing opinions. How would you rank them for most likely to get saves?
Honestly, they are all in the speculation bucket. Chances are essentially equal.
Finally I have Urias/Verlander/Eovaldi/Ober/Skubal as my starters plus Clevinger, Flaherty and Bauer who are not available to me now. I was curious if Pivetta or Hernandez are necessary adds or should I worry about mining for saves.
With QS instead of wins, neither Pivetta nor Hernandez are particularly attractive. Keep an eye on Josh Winder in Minnesota. Not saying to pick him up (though I don't see Bauer pitching this season), but he's worth tracking.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord