Bi-weekly lineup changes

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
murraygd13
High-A

Bi-weekly lineup changes

#1 Post by murraygd13 »

My long time running AL and NL only leagues are moving to twice a week lineup moves. These are standard 5 x 5 roto leagues and deep player pools. We roster 40 man rosters in 11 team only leagues.

How should I expect having two lineup periods each week to effect player valuations?

My initial thoughts are that for hitters, not much will change. Maybe strict platoon players would get a small bump in value.

For pitchers, I'm guessing this helps setup men and other middle relievers. With weekly lineups I'd start 5 or 6 starting pitchers per week, with 3 or 4 relievers. I'm thinking with two lineup periods that I'm likely to shuffle 3-5 starters each lineup, while playing up to 6 relievers.

Just interested in everyone's thoughts. Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Bi-weekly lineup changes

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Gratuitous plus alert: We review a mixed league with twice a week moves (Part One is posted) in which I detail the strategy of the format.

The main difference is these are deep only leagues with huge reserve lists, so what seems good in theory may not be as practical as it is in mixed leagues since the inventory to take advantage of the twice-weekly moves is extremely limited.

You have idea essentially right, but it's not really struct platoon players, but those with some sort of split giving them an advantage in a short three or four game sample. It could be a lefty swinger facing righties. It could be a guy in a really good home hitter's park for a series. It could be a guy in the AL Central with several matchups against weak pitching.

However, as hinted, once injuries kick in, there is less strategic lineup settings and almost all having healthy players active since the free agents will be barren with so many reserves.

Pitching is similar, expect the inventory to choose to stream is limited. My guess is the twice-a-week moves will be more about using someone only once for his two start week when the second matchup is risky.

To pull it off, you need a lot of the right pieces which takes reading the room to assemble all of them. I suspect my approach would be finding the best opportunities to get the steady setup men. I wouldn't chase the best, but would know the inventory inside and out and find the high K/9 guys that are less known.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord