12 team vs 15 team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
HIROLLERJR
Low-A

12 team vs 15 team

#1 Post by HIROLLERJR »

I see all these 12 and 15 team leagues available to play ( and may be more and I havent seen ) and in these leagues you get a randomly selected draft spot. So how or whats the best strategy to apply to these leagues? I'm guessing you dont go about each the same way as Im guessing hitters or pitchers are more important earlier in one versus the other :?
Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 12 team vs 15 team

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

If you're talking about the NFBC, the draft pick isn't completely random. You get to set your preferences (KDS) and if you are picked first, you are awarded your top choice.

As for differences in the league size, a lot depends on the format (Draft and Hold, FAB, auction, etc.).

There is no optimal strategy for either. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses which help mold strategy.

I don't think hitters and pitchers are more or less important. The main difference is the quality of replacement level at the draft and free agent pool in season. Steals and saves are scarcer in 15 team leagues so it's more important to address them in the draft. The quality of in-season free agents is better in 12-team, so designing a roster to take advantage is important (waiting on CI, MI, UT and 1 OF spot) allows replacing a lesser player with an emerging one. For instance, if you fill MI early and one of your reserve 2B or SS or FAB pickups exceeds expectations, you may not have a spot to play him, but if you have a lower level guy at those spots, it's easier to upgrade.

Overall, the main difference is more scarcity develops in a 15-team draft depending on positional runs while in-season management (churning) is key to 12-teamers.

Experience is the best teacher. If you're looking at one versus the other, if drafting as team construction is your strength, that feeds into 15-teams. If in season management, working free agents in your thing, then 12-teamers.

If you're looking at draft and hold, all this matters less. If you're knowledge of the player pool is deep, 15-teamers are better. If it isn't as deep, 12-team is the call. There are 750 players picked in 15-team D&H compared to 600 in 12-team leagues.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

HIROLLERJR
Low-A

Re: 12 team vs 15 team

#3 Post by HIROLLERJR »

Thanks!