Minor League Draft - Sound off

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Trav The Ump

Minor League Draft - Sound off

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

Picking 11th in my minor league draft, we're at pick 7 so I'm getting close (slow draft, via email/ messenger).

I'd like to try and get a player for this year because with a 12 team AL only there's a lot of value in getting a guy for more or less free;

If they are not on the list, they aren't available.

Bobby Dalbec - Bos - I think right now he's my target
Andrew Vaughn - Chw - Could be better then Dalbec, but not this year?
Adley Rutschman - Bal - 2 catcher AL only league, this could be a good value down the road?
Ryan Mountcastle - Bal - He may be my #2 on this list, but that defense does worry me.
Triston McKenzie - Cle - I don't like taking pitchers in the minor league draft, but this is essentially a major league starter for free I activate week 2.

Austin Martin - Tor - I assume he goes, Canadian league and two Jays fans in front of me. Not playing this year.
Bobby Witt Jr KC - All the helium!
Jason Dominguez - NYY - Probably my only chance to get him

Let me know your thoughts!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Minor League Draft - Sound off

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

For this year playing it safe

Vaughn
Mountcastle
Dalbec
Witt (should play this year but risky performance)
McKenzie
Rutschman
Dominguez
Martin

Future

Witt
Dominguez
Vaughn
Rutschman
Martin
Dalbec
Mountcastle
McKenzie
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Thanks Todd, I have concerns about Vaughn's playing time. Especially if that contract doesn't come together this week. Abreu and Moncada aren't going anywhere so he can certainly DH, I just worry he gets shuffled out of a number of at bats as sort of low man on the totem pole.

I like the perspective of Mountcastle over Dalbec though...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Personally not concerned about Vaughn. He may miss three weeks. No big deal.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

Well he went with the 7th pick, damnit! Lol

Trav The Ump

#6 Post by Trav The Ump »

Grabbed Mountcastle :D

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#7 Post by CubFan »

Trav, am a bit late to the party. FWIW, I'd have been happy with either Mountcastle or Vaughn for this year.

Mountcastle already has some MLB ABs under his belt and performed quite well, even if hitting above what was expected. He's also hitting in a very favorable home park. Vaughn I like alot even if he gets sent down for a few weeks to start the season. A negative is he's never played above A ball but last year he stayed at the White Sox' alternative site which allowed him to hit off AAA and former MLB pitchers. LaRussa has made glowing remarks of his hitting, saying he he's an advanced hitter for this stage of his career. Another big plus is Thome is giving him special coaching. Vaughn is probably battling Zach Collins for the DH spot. LaRussa won't keep Vaughn up unless he's playing almost every day. And he won't have the pressure to carry the offense as the Sox are deep.

Living in the KC area I can tell you there is alot of hype here around Witt but it's also well deserved. He's already garnered praise for his clubhouse presence from the older vets on the team. Some of the local sports columinsts say it reminds them of how Mahomes carried himself as a rookie and first year starter. Witt does have the lineage of his dad playing professional ball so there is that similarity. I think Witt is going to be a stud. I think if he shows he can handle the minors he'll be up in a month or two. Dayton Moore said Witt will get time in the OF which the versitility will help him get to the bigs faster. IMO, this means a short leash for Taylor in CF and Lopez at 2B. Witt also stayed at the Royals alternate site last summer and greatly benefitted from hitting off AAA and former MLB pitchers.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Trav The Ump

#8 Post by Trav The Ump »

Appreciate the local insight CubFan, being up in Canada I'm stuck to Twitter, Rotoworld, and the good folks at Mastersball. I was pretty happy to get Mountcastle at 11 especially since the in draft options are pretty limited.

Round two at pick 22 I could've pulled the trigger on Jeter Downs but instead took Logan Gilbert hoping for 2021 stats. Draft tomorrow at 1pm, looking forward to it!

(I've lost my Platinum posting ability, I'm assuming I had it due to formerly helping Todd moderate somewhat. But I'll still read everything that's going on over there. 8-) )