Overall Roto Targets

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
billyhaze
High-A

Overall Roto Targets

#1 Post by billyhaze »

Hi, Gentlemen,

I was wondering if anyone could do a calculation on what total targets one should be shooting for in a roto league. I usually have the 80 percentile tptals from the previous season but they are based on 162 season. Anyone have an estimate for what it would take( # of HR's RBI K's etc ) to compete in a roto contest limited to 60 games

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Overall Roto Targets

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Given I vehemently disagree with target drafting, 60 games is enough to proportionately reduce the full season targets.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

billyhaze
High-A

#3 Post by billyhaze »

I did not know that you oppose target drafting, Todd, perhaps you can discuss your reasoning on the show w/Jeff or one of the pods?
Thank you for all your hard work maintaining the sheets during this time.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I've been talking and writing about it for years. Jeff and I have had the discussion several times.

In brief...

You're using projections/expectations you favor, you better hit the targets

You draft between 65 and 90% of the final stats. That leaves a lot of wiggle room in-season to manage the categories

I don't get the difference between drafting the player you think is best for your team and the one getting closer to the targets. I've seen too many people draft a lesser player at the end to "make the target" or "win the projected standings." Give me the better player and I'll figure out the categories.

All that said, tracking HR and SB to make sure the balance is as desired is OK. I do it more intuitively so I don't actually track.

And with all that said...

if target drafting offers a level of comfort, that's a good thing. Just don't get tempted to "win the projected standings". Put as much talent as you can on the roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord