Goofy (New?) Category

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
harrisji
High-A
Preferred Style: 5X5 NL only; seeking better game, refreshed categories (W+QS, SV+H, OBP, RP) (No more counting HR as an RBI and a R too)

Goofy (New?) Category

#1 Post by harrisji »

Have proposed to our 12-team NL-only to punt this "season", freeze all contracts / salaries, and have a one-year Everything AND the Kitchen Sink competition.

Further proposed tuning up the worn-out 5x5 with BA, HR, SB, Runs Created (RBI plus Runs minus HR) and Plate Appearances, and W, SV plus Holds, ERA, WHIP, and K / BB. (Can't get TOO esoteric with this crew.)

But one owner suggests no more SB, and instead compute Total Bases plus SB less (HR*4). Outside of producing a stat (talk about esoteric) that ranks Mike Trout like the 50th most-valuable player in baseball, below luminaries like Yolmer Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Kevin Newman, Adam Frazier and David Fletcher (yes, THAT David Fletcher, at 5th behind Villar, Merrifield, Semien and Betts), I can't figure a purpose. Your opinion, Oh Great Zola?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Goofy (New?) Category

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Opinion on the overall notion of changing stats or the inane, insipid, nonsensical, myopic, impractical Total Bases plus SB less (HR*4)?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

harrisji
High-A
Preferred Style: 5X5 NL only; seeking better game, refreshed categories (W+QS, SV+H, OBP, RP) (No more counting HR as an RBI and a R too)

#3 Post by harrisji »

... on the inane, insipid etc etc etc ...

I think I proved my point to the guy when I said Kevin Newman last year would score 188 and Barry Bonds in freakin 2001 would score 132. That Ted Effing Williams in 1941 would score One Hundred Eighty NINE. That Lou Gehrig in 1934 would place just behind said Fletcher. :roll:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, I'm not in the wanting fantasy to mimic real baseball camp so I'm fine with standard 5x5, though do prefer OBP over average and innings pitched over wins.

That said, this category makes no sense to me. Using batting average and net steals plus walks instead of steals is ok too.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord