First Verlander and now Alvarez. AL-ONLY keeper help!!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Chefb2020

First Verlander and now Alvarez. AL-ONLY keeper help!!

#1 Post by Chefb2020 »

This is a 12 team AL-ONLY 5x5 keeper Roto league in which we keep a minimum of 3 players with maximum of 5 players. I have been bitten by the injury bug and I’m trying to work out what I should do.

I am in a decent position in that I have 2 1st round picks and 2 5th round picks. I can either stand pat or try to make a deal. Among the players who could be available are Eddie Rosario, Khris Davis, Luis Robert.

My keeper candidates are - Alex Bregman (no brainer), George Springer, Yordan Alvarez, Justin Verlander, Shane Bieber, Lucas Giolito.

Before the recent injuries, I was locked into Bregman/Springer/Alvarez/Verlander/Bieber. But now I’m not so sure. Verlander has the same injury that sidelined Severino most of last season. And Alvarez’s knee issues are what plagued him last season.

What is my best course of action? Should I try to sell Verlander and Springer for a bat upgrade? Who could that be?

All input is greatly appreciated!!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: First Verlander and now Alvarez. AL-ONLY keeper help!!

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Do most keep their best five ad infinitum? No contacts, salaries, etc?

Who are the next best possible keepers on your team?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Chefb2020

#3 Post by Chefb2020 »

There are no contracts or salaries in this league and it’s mixed year to year. Some years there’s 6 or 7 picks before the official 1st round (after keepers). I believe there will probably be at least 4 or 5 this season.

My other keeper options are Sean Manea, Nomar Mazara and Dee Gordon.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Chefb2020 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 2:26 pm There are no contracts or salaries in this league and it’s mixed year to year. Some years there’s 6 or 7 picks before the official 1st round (after keepers). I believe there will probably be at least 4 or 5 this season.

My other keeper options are Sean Manea, Nomar Mazara and Dee Gordon.
Not clear what this means -- is this 4 or 5 not keeping the full five keepers, so they go first?

Bregman, Springer, Bieber and Giolito seem clear.

Then it's deciding if you want to retain Alvarez's rights for future seasons and hope he's OK and/or (assuming the above is right), deciding if Alvarez with a health risk is better than one of the first few picks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Chefb2020

#5 Post by Chefb2020 »

Should I also not keep Verlander?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Your team, your call, but at 37, how many years can you count on in a keep forever league? Giolito is a reasonable replacement.

Chefb2020

#7 Post by Chefb2020 »

Should I deal Verlander for Luis Robert?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Chefb2020 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 10:02 pm Should I deal Verlander for Luis Robert?
In a keep perpetually league, I'd jump all over that.