PROSPECT DRAFT HELP

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
KeystoneKop
High-A

PROSPECT DRAFT HELP

#1 Post by KeystoneKop »

I have the # 1 pick in this years draft and have been debating about who to target with this pick. I am leaning towards Vaughn (CHI) as a safe selection but Pearson is beginning to draw my attention.
PEARSON
DOMINGUEZ
WITT
VAUGHN
DOWNS

Is there one of these you would hands down take over the rest of the pack? I see you have Pearson rated tops amongst this group. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

4x4 league, Minor's contacts are $3.50 and we play with $130 salary cap. Thanks!!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: PROSPECT DRAFT HELP

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll let Perry address the question from a talent angle, I'll approach from a game theory perspective.

What do you want out of your minor league players...

Help to win this season?
Long term cheap talent for down the road?
A trade chip?
Something else?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

KeystoneKop wrote: March 9th, 2020, 4:25 pm I have the # 1 pick in this years draft and have been debating about who to target with this pick. I am leaning towards Vaughn (CHI) as a safe selection but Pearson is beginning to draw my attention.
PEARSON
DOMINGUEZ
WITT
VAUGHN
DOWNS

Is there one of these you would hands down take over the rest of the pack? I see you have Pearson rated tops amongst this group. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

4x4 league, Minor's contacts are $3.50 and we play with $130 salary cap. Thanks!!
Todd's questions are right on the money - the other would be how long can you keep them as minor leaguers AND how many do you get each year? Need to know those things to give you the best answer

KeystoneKop
High-A

#4 Post by KeystoneKop »

Great point. 1st time using the forum. Bare with me.

6 minor league spots. AL only. Minor leaguers are $3.50 and you get them for 2 years at that rate and add $2.50 per year after that if you want to extend them.

My current minor leaguers are Mize, Whitley, Royce Lewis and kiriloff.

I’m just looking for my most return on investment for that pick.

Pearson is intriguing but seems riskier to me. Leaning Vaughn as he seems to be the safest.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Most return is too general to get the best answer. Most immediate return? Most return over the course of the fantasy contract?

Is Rutschman available?

Dominguez is probably the highest ceiling, with Vaughn the most stable floor. Downs could help as soon as mid-season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

KeystoneKop wrote: March 9th, 2020, 4:25 pm I have the # 1 pick in this years draft and have been debating about who to target with this pick. I am leaning towards Vaughn (CHI) as a safe selection but Pearson is beginning to draw my attention.
PEARSON
DOMINGUEZ
WITT
VAUGHN
DOWNS

Okay, here are my thoughts
1) six is good but not great - with a limited number (and esp in conj with #2) you should go for those most likely to help you This year is you are in position to contend or will definitely help you next year (you don't want to feel committed to putting extra money on a guy who is not likely up this year or next)
2) $3.50 is okay (really since you are on half $260 scale they should be $2.50) but it means you want to get them at that price and not add on
3) Both of those things mean that Dominguez who is the best prospect but playing his first year in the minors this year should not be the pick (he would be for sure if you kept them until they are activated or some leagues let you keep them on the "Farm" until you want to activate them)
4) Do NOT settle - you want the most impactful players you can get - I love Vaughn - great hit tool,, power may come BUT Abreu there for a few more years and I think EE is on a two year deal so he is blocked
5) Given your league's rules I want Pearson #1 (he will be up this year but you wouldn't acitvate unless you are in contention but he will be in the Blue Jays rotation next year when they will be an even better team). Rutchsman would be 1A IF available (and seems like he should be given that Vaughn is) Great to have a $3.50 top notch catcher and he will be starting next year (may well be up late this year).
6) If you only get one of those I would take Jeter Downs with the second pick - 20/20 MI are Great

KeystoneKop
High-A

#7 Post by KeystoneKop »

Couple more things on this. Rutschman is not available. The $3.50 contract doesn't start until he is activated to your team from the "farm" so if Dominguez doesn't get called up until 2022 he would just be on my farm till then and once he is activated his service time of 2 years begins. If this is the case would you go with Dominguez? Thanks again! I really appreciate the insight on this. Love this site by the way.

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

KeystoneKop wrote: March 10th, 2020, 9:43 am Couple more things on this. Rutschman is not available. The $3.50 contract doesn't start until he is activated to your team from the "farm" so if Dominguez doesn't get called up until 2022 he would just be on my farm till then and once he is activated his service time of 2 years begins. If this is the case would you go with Dominguez? Thanks again! I really appreciate the insight on this. Love this site by the way.
Thanks for the clarification.

With six minor leaguers you can afford to have one (maybe two) that are long term stashes and in that case YES I would definitely pick Dominguez if I could - the upside potential is a 30/30 OF