Quantify counting categories

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
CamelsAreUnderrated

Quantify counting categories

#1 Post by CamelsAreUnderrated »

I am in a 12 team league that uses R, RBI, HR, SB, and OBP. For the counting stats, has there been any research done on how much more valuable a steal is than a HR? I have seen folks throw out a SB is 3 times more valuable than a HR, but where is the backing for it? How much more valuable is a HR than a R or RBI?

My end goal is to come up with a number to judge a player's counting stats. For example, x*Runs + y* RBI + z* HR + j*SB. What are the proper coefficients?

I would ultimately like to input projection systems into the equation to see who will provide the best counting stats.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Quantify counting categories

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Probably not the answer you want to see, but valuation doesn't work that way. There isn't a one-size-fits-all points system. How much stats are worth depend upon the size of the league and the number of roster spots. Replacement has to be factored in and the stats is given a price based on it's contribution to the total pool of draft worthy stats in that category. I could come up with one knowing league specs, but it would be built off 5x5 roto price which unto itself gives you the answer you're looking for.

I have some free pieces on the home page discussing valuation as well as some essays for Platinum subscribers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CamelsAreUnderrated

Re: Quantify counting categories

#3 Post by CamelsAreUnderrated »

Sounds good. I will give them a look. Appreciate it.