3rd Pick in OBP 12 Tm League

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CamelsAreUnderrated

3rd Pick in OBP 12 Tm League

#1 Post by CamelsAreUnderrated »

Hi, I have the 3rd pick in a 12 team OBP redraft league. Categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, and OBP. I know Trout and Acuna will go 1 and 2, which leaves me Yelich. I am torn between Yelich and Juan Soto. I could see in drafts in 2021 Soto being tossed around by experts as the number 1 pick. However in 2020, every expert seems 100% sold on Yelich.

Last year, Yelich lead the league in HR/FB ratio. Why does no one talk about this?

Also, everyone assumes he will still steal even after the knee injury. I could see both guys stealing 10-15 bases this year.

Soto has a higher average and median wOBA on all 5 projections systems on Fangraphs than Yelich.

Am I crazy to be hesitant on Yelich? Would you take Yelich or Soto? Or other (I was considering Bregman before the scandal due to BB/K and SS eligibility)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 3rd Pick in OBP 12 Tm League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

my top 5 in 12 team OBP are

Trout

Yelich/Acuna

Soto
Bellinger

Fantasy circles are absolutely talking about Yelich's HR/FB -- his average exit velocity on fly balls is insane. He may see some regression, but Yelich's HR/FB skills are real.

Bottom line is if you want Soto, take him. If Yelich is anywhere near last season and doesn't miss too much time, he and Acuna are close in OBP leagues.

FWIW - wOBA doesn't count steals so players that run are worth more than their wOBA suggests.

if you're legit concerned about Yelich, Soto is nest in line. If healthy, Yelich is the better option.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CamelsAreUnderrated

Re: 3rd Pick in OBP 12 Tm League

#3 Post by CamelsAreUnderrated »

THANK YOU TODD!