Trea Turner batting 3rd - impact

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Chefb2020

Trea Turner batting 3rd - impact

#1 Post by Chefb2020 »

Currently, Trea Turner is being valued as a top 10 player with his upside of 25 HR and 40 SB with a solid batting average and 100+ runs scored potential.

With word that he is going to be batting 3rd, what impact should that have on his valuation? Is he more likely not to be running with Soto at the plate? Does he now become more of a Top 25 player instead of a top 10?

What is his long-term value? Is he a top 10-15 pick in a dynasty draft? How long will his speed be a premium?

Appreciate any feedback!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trea Turner batting 3rd - impact

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome aboard!

What is said, especially in terms of batting order and what happens over a 162 game season are not always the same. i prefer to evaluate based on a player's talent first. Batting order is important, but not more so than skills.

The best managers manage to the teams strengths and away from their weaknesses. They don't force a square peg into a round hole.

Trea Turner's game is largely predicated on speed. Martinez isn't going to pull him aside and tell Turner to start going for the downs. Turner helps the team win by running. He'll run.

The Soto element can go the other way as well. He's so patient and controls the strike zone so well, he shouldn't mind taking a strike. The threat of Turner running should mean more fastballs.

If anything, take away 15 or so plate appearances hitting third. Maybe that drops Turner a couple spots, but you shouldn't be drafting off raw rankings, it should be with team construction in mind. If you want to start your team with a speed guy, the 15 PA shouldn't matter.

Long term, there's even less of a chance Turner stays in the three-hole. I don't see his prognosis in dynasty formats changing at all, It's more about team construct here as well. In general, speed doesn't age so my preference in building a dynasty is for my foundation pieces to be more power than speed.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Chefb2020

Re: Trea Turner batting 3rd - impact

#3 Post by Chefb2020 »

Thank you for your analysis of the situation, Todd. I am in rebuild mode in a NL only league and have the choice of Bryce Harper or Turner. While Harper has his own warts to be wary of, I was mainly focused on the longterm viability of Turner’s main skillset. While Turner carries elite SB upside, I’m not certain I’m better off with him over a more proven asset. Can he take a step and be a 25/45 performer for multiple years? Not sure.

I’m very excited to be a part of the community here and look forward to uncovering a lot of insightful material.

Thanks again!