CVRC 7x7 League

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
ThePostman111
High-A

CVRC 7x7 League

#1 Post by ThePostman111 »

Hi Todd,

I'm looking at producing some $ values for a more unique league I've joined. It's a 7x7 with: Hitting: R,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,OPS,TB and Pitching: ERA,K,QS,WHIP,SV,Hold,K/9.

The roster spots are:

C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 2xIF, 4xOF, 2xUT, 11xP undesignated.

Looking at the CVRC I imagine that there isn't really a way to replicate this in there even running multiple times and averaging thanks to some of the weird stats?

I can get some values using the Fangraphs calculator but it would be nice to use your projections instead of Steamer. Before I go down the rabbit hole myself is this type of setup doable if I use your PVM system in an excel fiel with your projections?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: CVRC 7x7 League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Depending on hos adventurous, and patient you are, the best approach would be the old-fashioned way, setting up a spreadsheet by hand and following the essay https://www.mastersball.com/free/PlayerValuation.pdf.

It will likely take several hours to do both the hitting and pitching for the first time, but once you figure out the tricks, it won't take nearly as long to do it down the road.

I can offer some support, especially over the next month. Once LABR and Tout Wars kick in, my time is more limited.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ThePostman111
High-A

#3 Post by ThePostman111 »

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a crack at it tonight.

One quick question, with using OBP instead of AVG, what formula do you use for this instead of the Expected Hits?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

H+BB+HBP replace hits

AB+BB+HBP+SF replaces AB
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ThePostman111
High-A

#5 Post by ThePostman111 »

Thanks for the help Todd, it's much appreciated. The spreadsheet is working really well.

The league I'm putting this together for is a first year dynasty so I was planning on tinkering with aging curves or similar to put together some kind of rudimentary 5-year value figure. Do you have any advice before I get started? I'm not looking for anything too scientific with this, just something to have as a flag other than just an age figure so I don't miss anything.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

What are the rules with respect to number of keepers, time limits, etc?

ThePostman111
High-A

#7 Post by ThePostman111 »

No limits on number of keepers or length of time. 33 man roster with a 20 man minor league roster as well.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Okay, so a true dynasty. Keeper and dynasty are often juxtaposed.

For me, the most important element is doing research on the player pool, both MLB and MilB and not worrying so much about massaging projections and/or bringing them out five years. Too much can happen.

Maybe I say that because I haven't done any studies and am not aware of any to help in this area. Intuitively, I'd like players with decent plate skills, some speed and strong defense, especially when looking at a catcher, shortstop or centerfielder.

Past that, deciding on an overall draft approach should be the chief concern.

Are you confident the league will be around for a long time?
Is there money involved?

The obvious balance is deciding the urgency of winning early versus building a foundation to compete for several seasons. Some feel they can do both. They're usually wrong.

ThePostman111
High-A

#9 Post by ThePostman111 »

Thanks, I'll shelve the aging curve thing unless I get bored and focus on some skills research.

Thanks for all your help with this, I'm not sure who on twitter spruiked your site but I'm glad I saw it!