Batting order markdowns (?)

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
86mets

Batting order markdowns (?)

#1 Post by 86mets »

I drafted Kemp and Loney loving the idea that they'd ideally bat near M :evil: anny and now see they are projected to bat 6th and 7th. In 12 team leagues my thought is that this really diminishes their potential to be 100-100 runs/rbi's. Is it time to consider selling high on Kemp or is it worth holding onto him for potential lineup change / miraculous production in the 7 spot ? Same may apply to Hunter Pence batting low potentially. Any thoughts ?

Re: Batting order markdowns (?)

#2 Post by Guest »

Lineups change all the time. I'd let things play out unless you get a great offer you can't refuse.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

We have Kemp conservatively for 595 plate appearances, which amounts to 150 games with 4 shots each. He has the chance to best 150 games and average more PA per game.

We've got 81 RBI and 97 runs. Could this ratio be different from the 7 hole? Perhaps he will score a few less and knock in a couple more, but his overall value will remain the same.

Anyone high on Kemp should be so because they feel he is in a growth stage for HR and SB. This potential does not change based on place in the batting order. So long as the AB were a little tempered and the production prorated accordingly. If you EXPECTED more, you will likely be disappointed. Chances are, most Kemp fans expect him to perform better than the mainstream, so this batting order issue, if it is indeed an issue, slightly suppresses how much better we expect him to perform.

Oversimplification....

Assuming he would hit higher, he is an "A" player in my eye, a B+ player on everyone else's so that is all I needed to pay, I get an A player for a B+ price.

Perhaps now he is only an A- player. I still have an A- player at a B+ price.

If you paid for an A- player, you are looking at breaking even with the chance to get profit is he moves up in the order.

If you paid for an A player, you might be disappointed if he doesn't move up.

Hopefully you paid for a B+ player and will still enjoy some built in profit plus the chance for more.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#4 Post by Hambowen »

Hitting 6th is fine from an RBI standpoint. Also without a lot behind him he may be called on to steal more which would be a great thing. His Run totals however would be effected with lesser hitters behind him.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

With respect to raw value, so long as the R+RBI are similar, then the raw value is also similar.

You now have 26 weeks to manage your squad into a better balance. A -10 run, +10 RBI swing will not be a season killer as there will be ample opportunity to manage new acquisitions to compensate for that switch.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord