5x5 Pitching Staff Questions

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
TribeNation
Major Leaguer

5x5 Pitching Staff Questions

#1 Post by TribeNation »

This my 1st 5x5 league. Pitching has 900 innings minimum. Thats around 35/ week. In your experience when does innings management really come into play. For example, If im doing well in a ratio late in season due I scale back to just to make innings limit? Do you usually end up punting a category. Can you win a league punting more than one category.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 5x5 Pitching Staff Questions

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Usually, in 5x5 leagues, innings minimums are cosmetic. In mixed leagues, teams will amass 1100-1400 IP. There's no way to compete in W and K without being in that range. You can design a strategy to punt W/K, making sure you have saves and low ratios then using the extra assets on hitting to crush the counting stats, but it has very little margin of error. This strategy entails drafting a bunch of middle relievers but all it takes is one or two to have an unlucky season and the ratios are shot. most leagues switched to 5x5 in an effort to force the pendulum over to starting pitching.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord