M. Napoli, A. Gordon for D. Ortiz?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
JediKnights

M. Napoli, A. Gordon for D. Ortiz?

#1 Post by JediKnights »

I've been offered M. Napoli ($8) and A. Gordon ($13) for D. Ortiz ($31). Next year (2010) their values increase by $10. Any advice?

cwk1963

Re: M. Napoli, A. Gordon for D. Ortiz?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

I don't like Napoli and Gordon +10 for 2010 but 8 and 13 respectively I'd do it. I'm not on the Ortiz bounce back bandwagon. Age + Injury - Manny = ehhhhhhhhh.

drapes

#3 Post by drapes »

Count me as a Papi believer:
David Ortiz – Big Papi missed eight weeks after tearing the left tendon sheath in his wrist at the end of May. Credit Papi for playing out the season with discomfort that he described as a “clicking” in his injured wrist, but it clearly impacted his swing. All that said, he didn’t need to have surgery on the wrist as doctors informed the team that resting over the offseason should suffice to get the Sox clean-up hitter back to full strength. And while there have been some murmurs on the Web about possible regression tied to the injury and Ortiz’s age, leave it to Theo to put the issue in it’s proper perspective. "He's 32 years old,'' Epstein said. "We see no reason he can't be one of the most dominant batters in baseball.'' Wrists are tricky, particularly for power hitters (see Derek Lee), but the Boston Herald’s website has reported that “according to a source close to him, David Ortiz [stats] is getting up at 8 a.m. every morning for strength and cardio workouts, followed by hitting at 11 a.m. He is said to be experiencing no discomfort or pain in his left wrist, injured last season.” Hey, it worked wonders for Manny.
All that said, it depends on what the rest of your team looks like and what you're trying to do. Combined, Gordon and Napoli will out produce Papi and fill two non-DH positions for you. But neither are a sure bet, nor will either bring you the return that a healthy Papi will if you decide you need to move him later. I personally, pending info on what the rest of your situation looks like would prefer to hold Papi for the time being. If he returns to form, but your team isn't contending, he'll get you guys that are much more keepable than Gordon at $23 and Napoli at $18.

my .02

drapes

JediKnights

#4 Post by JediKnights »

Currently I'm keeping the players on my signature. I like Papi but am concerned about tendon sheath wrists injuries (see Nomar- never was the same again).

drapes

#5 Post by drapes »

Yeah, given what you're already spending on Cabrera and Sizemore, it probably makes more sense to play it "safe" with Gordon and Napoli, though neither is really any more of a lock to perform than Papi, even with the injury. I'm a Gordon bandwagon guy, but it's about time he broke out a bit. Napoli is what he is.

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#6 Post by shif6 »

Strikes me that both Gordon and Napoli are reasonable keepers with upside at those prices. Ortiz is overpriced. He could return that much, but he is likely to return less. At that price he has no upside to speak of. Doubtful that any of the three would be keepers in 2010 under your league's rules.