Draft Strategy 5x5 Mixed 10 Team RT Sports

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
TribeNation
Major Leaguer

Draft Strategy 5x5 Mixed 10 Team RT Sports

#1 Post by TribeNation »

Hi, Gonna take part in my 1st 5x5 league, always played pts leagues. I joined RT Sports 100 dollar Big League 5x5 Mixed Snake Draft.
Should I get SP 1 in Rounds 1-2? I dont have my draft spot yet. Any other info on 5x5 would be appreciated.
28 players, 23 starters 2 catchers 9 pitchers.
How many middle reliever should consider in this 900 minimum inning league.
Thanks again for your time.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Strategy 5x5 Mixed 10 Team RT Sports

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's really not a black/white answer. The recent trend is to push pitching early and often.

My advice is map out a couple of different target pitching staffs -- don't need to be exact with names -- one from these three, one from these four, etc.

Then, follow the flow and pick pitching to get the target staff.

Personally, I'm waiting on pitching since everyone else is leaving such great bats when drafting so many arms early. I also trust my ability to manage a pitching staff to compete without an ace. I'm in the minority with this approach.

As for MR, in a league this shallow, I wouldn't take any reliever that isn't a full time closer.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TribeNation
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by TribeNation »

Thanks Todd, using the hitter approach, would one need to be in 80% of all 5 hitter ratios and then 50% or better in 5 pitchers? This is my 1st dive into 5x5 and theres 5 owners who are Top 1000 players.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

You're making it too complicated. Pick the most productive players. You have 26 weeks to manage categories.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TribeNation
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by TribeNation »

Sorry man, I was just askin your opinion...its all good.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Understood -- just saying my opinion is you're overthinking. Spend time learning the player pool and not worrying about standings. My saying for this is "Win the league, not the draft." Trust me, everyone in the league is going to hit their targets and say they're at the top of the standings based on the draft. Yet, only one wins. I want to accumulate stats, not points. I have a long season to convert stats into points.

TribeNation
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by TribeNation »

I get it. I love fantasy baseball and the long season, the moves and talking strategy. Fantasy Baseball people are hard to find by me anymore so thats why I bought a subscription to MB, ive read your columns for years at Rotowire. Ive played for years in home leagues but they are folding now for lack of players so Im moving to online. Anyway. I have 2 more drafts coming Sunday Monday for a total of 3 teams. Thats all I have time for. Thanks for your quick response and I will use your input and hopefully you can help with some in season advice. Go Tribe!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW-- I'm a CWRU graduate, with a soft spot for Cleveland.

TribeNation
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by TribeNation »

No wonder youre so good crunching those numbers. Talk soon. I hope I get one Tribe player at least.