Points League - slotting SPs into overall Draft Rank

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
woodback
High-A

Points League - slotting SPs into overall Draft Rank

#1 Post by woodback »

Todd - I've converted your projections from Mastersball into points for my league - mathematical suggestions for inserting Pitchers into a Draft Day Rank? Max scores 1348, Sale 1288 - they would be #62 and #74 overall by pure points. Last year, using your projections, I made value judgements where to place SP and RP amongst Top 250 players and it sort of worked - I would love to be a bit more mathematical about it. We start 11 hitters, 9 pitchers in daily transaction league, if that has any bearing.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Points League - slotting SPs into overall Draft Rank

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Have you plugged the league specs into the Customizable Points League file? It does it for you.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

woodback
High-A

#3 Post by woodback »

The categories don't line up ... last year and this, I took your projections and had to add additional categories to use for my league (H & TB being main changes on hitting; Games and HRA main changes on pitching). I tried to edit your customizable file - seemed to work for hitters other than Catchers, but it blew out your adjustment field for pitchers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

How good are you with Excel?

What are your league specs (#teams in particular)?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

woodback
High-A

#5 Post by woodback »

Pretty decent - I made my living with Excel doing Corp. Finance ... what I've forgotten, the internet reminds me ...
12 teams, draft 25 players (11 hitters, 9 pitchers, 5 bench).

Hit Categories: Runs, Hits, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, TB, RBI, SF, SB, CS, BB, K, TB
Pit Categories: Games, IP, Wins, Losses, CG, Saves, Holds, ER, HRA, BB, K

woodback
High-A

#6 Post by woodback »

Ok, so I had dinner and tackled it again ... I made it work and it looks pretty good. I input 11 H and 9 P on the Setup tab, that's our starting lineup and we have 5 bench that I ignored for this purpose.
The Top 10 are Betts 1955, Ramirez 1931, Trout 1900, Scherzer 1340, Sale 1310, Arenado 1809, deGrom 1218, Martinez 1763, Bregman 1762, Freeman 1734
I remember looking at this file last year but didn't use because of categories ... I did not realize how POWERFUL it is, if I spend some time with it ...

Thanks, Todd.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Looks to me like you can overwrite the AB column in the hitting with hits, just summing up 1B, 2B, 3B and HR then everything else is there.

With pitching, all that's missing is HRA which you can use vlookup to pull into the HBP column and you're all set.

If that doesn't work (it should), I'll take you through the manual process.