Need Help w/ League Scoring System

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
pdxdirtdog

Need Help w/ League Scoring System

#1 Post by pdxdirtdog »

Gents,

I NEED YOUR HELP....

I'm good with stats, good with baseball and even good with baseball stats but this one is above my pay grade and was hoping that someone with a little more math acumen could help me conclude a couple things in my league. So that you have the necessary background to help me, here it is:

We have an 18 team, H2H league that underwent some rule changes last season. These changes have placed unequal value and in some cases, little-to no value to players like 4/5 starters, who used to be quite valuable. The main change that's affected player values has been the introduction to the max start rule of 15 starts. Previously, owners were loading up on starters, then just winning the SP cats based on volume to starts,K's, IP, etc. so we implemented a max start rule, which has all but negated the value of a 4/5 stype starter because with the max start rule, as a league, we couldn't' start all the MLB's actual starts in any given week if we wanted to because there are more starts in a week (in MLB) than allowed in our league, which has significantly devalued SP pitching, to the point no one wants it and 1/2 guys and more importantly offense (because now people are loading up on offensive players and on the days teams typically would have a lot sitting (weekday, day games), they're loading up on offensive stats in volume the same way we used to with pitching when it was unrestricted and have increased in value significantly (to the point no one will trade either and it's caused imbalance in valuations).

If anyone understands what I'm trying to say here and you can help me mathematically highlight to my leagues owners, WHY this rule is impacting us as a league negatively, I'd consider you a fantasy baseball God and forever be in your debt. Certainly let me know if you need more info from me in order to help figure this out.

Minimum Total Players: 0
Maximum Total Players: 97
Minimum Active Players: 0
Maximum Active Players: 26
Maximum Reserve Players: 14
Maximum Injury Reserve Players: 5
Maximum Minor League Players: 50

Catcher (C) 2
1st Base (1B) 1
2nd Base (2B) 1
3rd Base (3B) 1
Shortstop (SS) 1
Corner Infield (CI) 1
Middle Infield (MI) 1
Outfield (OF) 5
Utility (Any Hitter) (UT) 2
Pitcher (P) 11

SCORING CATS:

*all equally weight 1/1 w/ the exception of OBP and ERA, those are 1.2 the value

IV. Scoring Categories
Hitting
1) On Base %,
2) Total Bases
3) Stolen Bases
4) RBI
5) Runs
6) Avg
7) Home Runs
8) Hits + Walks
Pitching
9) I.P.
10) E.R.A.
11) Quality Starts
12) Wins
13) Ground Outs
14) Whip
15) 2 * Saves + Holds
16) Strikeouts

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Need Help w/ League Scoring System

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I must be missing something. If there are 18 teams with 11 man pitching staffs then 189 pitchers must be active so the 3/4/5 SP have to be on a roster -- unless the same player can be on multiple rosters.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Need Help w/ League Scoring System

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

You may have left something out ...over what time period does the 15 start max cover? Weekly? Monthly? Season? etc. I ask because there were several references in your post about week or weekly. Even if you were fortunate enough to have 6 two start pitchers in a week, the next few weeks would seem to be problematical, no? Actually, I wonder what the intent of this rule change really is. What are they hoping to accomplish?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams