MR usage in normal leagues

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

MR usage in normal leagues

#1 Post by mjlewis »

Assume a normal 12-team mixed, so 108 pitchers are used each week. Assume that there are no closers by committee and all 30 closers are in use. How many middle relievers should be active each week? Obviously Hader is better than SP78, but how much higher does it go?

For a somewhat arbitrary reference, use https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/augus ... -rankings/. Is the 10th best MR better than Chase Anderson? Is the 20th better than Vince Velasquez?

In the real world it'd also be slightly skewed because a less good SP on a two-start week might be useful, but ignore that for now.

for a more concrete version - I'm currently starting Scherzer, Verlander, Keuchel, Clevinger, Eovaldi, and either Bieber or Dereck Rodriguez along with three closers. How many of those should I replace with some of Jeffress/Betances/Trivino who are all available for free?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MR usage in normal leagues

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

1. Why would I want to use an arbitrary set of rankings when I generate my own?

2. I've been writing about the underutilized middle reliever for years - the Moneyball of fantasy. Coming into this season, I wrote a feature for both ESPN and Rotowire on the topic, specifically with respect to needing MR more than ever since the increased off days reduce the number of weekly two-start options.

3. You can't ignore how fantasy manages the pitching (streamers, good matchups, double dips, etc). Valuation/rankings, be it mine or something more arbitrary assume the pitcher is active for all 26 weeks, which just isn't the case.

4. Valuation/rankings don't incorporate team strategy. A MR could be way more useful to one staff than a SP which could reverse on a different staff.

5. In shallower leagues (like 12-team mixed) I still prefer to stream starters

6. We're at the point of the season where managing categories trumps bullying them so there isn't a blanket answer. Picking up a MR to protect ratios while sacrificing strikeouts and wins potential is team contextual.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord