Should I trade Kershaw?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
mastersball69

Should I trade Kershaw?

#1 Post by mastersball69 »

Obviously I have entertained the idea of trading Kershaw. I am in a 12 team keeper league, where we only keep a certain number of guys, then draft the rest of the pool. My pitching is pretty good without Kershaw, but offense struggles. So I am entertaining this deal:

(I trade) Kershaw & small piece (possibly A. Hicks, M. Carpenter, or K. Pillar)
(I recieve) S. Marte, J. Gallo, M. Haniger

It is intriguing, but keep in mind that I can only keep so many players. I would most likely not be able to keep all 3 of those guys I get back. Plus, do I even want to trade Kershaw? I have kept him the past 4 seasons, but obviously at this point I am tired of the injuries and want to cash in at the right time. But tell me what you think.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Should I trade Kershaw?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome aboard!

How any can you keep? Who are your expected keepers?

Are you trying to win this season?

Context is everything. A trade isn't about the players involved but the affect on your roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mastersball69

#3 Post by mastersball69 »

Pitching staff is solid, hitting not so much. I can keep 9. Looking to keep 4-5 pitchers and the rest hitters. But I would like to keep all three of them, but I may not be able to. And I think I can win now, especially if I improve offense. I'm just hung up on Kershaw because of what he has done for me in the past mixed with what he can still do when he's on the field. The constant DL stints are killing me.
C- Ramos/S. Perez
1B- C. Santana/Carpenter
2B- I. Happ/ C. Hernandez
SS- E. Escobar/ A. Simmons/ M. Duffy
3B- Sano/ Andujar
OF- Harper/Judge/Hicks/Peralta/Pillar
SP- Scherzer/Severino/Kershaw/Bumgarner/Nola/Pivetta/Hendricks/STREAMERS
RP- I'm Set

29 Roster Spots. Keep 9.
Scherzer,Severino, Kershaw, MadBum, Nola, Harper, Judge, Sano?, Perez?

OBP League

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Absolutely no way I'd keep Sano - especially since you can keep Andujar at the same position. Your team, your call.

If you can win this season, I'd deal Kershaw. You're fine with pitching - Max, Severino and Nola are fine keepers. I might even move MadBum for a top level hitter.

i like the deal - only question is can you get more, or perhaps find someone to deal a top hitter so you get a big upgrade then look to upgrade the other spots with the wire (or Bumgarner).

Honestly, you have overkill with pitching.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord