mauer - how risky is he-?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

mauer - how risky is he-?

#1 Post by somerandomguy »

my draft is coming up sat- i am thinking of bidding on mauer- i think i can get him real cheap - but i am hearing rumors that he could be out for months- any recommendations?
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

cwk1963

Re: mauer - how risky is he-?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

Personally, I'd pass. From what I've heard, they kind of narrowed the problem down to the sacroiliac (sp?) joint but don't know what the cause of it is. This is something that could haunt you all season.

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by somerandomguy »

thanks - i was getting that feeling it was bad
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3

#4 Post by Guest »

SRG - you're in a keeper league, some different rules apply here. He'll be on the DL, you could get him cheap, and might make a nice future keeper and fill the slot with a backup catcher.

Not a requirement you do it, but don't forget, there's context here, his value (Like AROD, like Lackey, etc) is somewhat tied to the fact you are getting him for a three year contract potentially.

Just a thought.

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by somerandomguy »

Unfortunately we are redrafting next year

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

GaryJ wrote:SRG - you're in a keeper league, some different rules apply here. He'll be on the DL, you could get him cheap, and might make a nice future keeper and fill the slot with a backup catcher.

Not a requirement you do it, but don't forget, there's context here, his value (Like AROD, like Lackey, etc) is somewhat tied to the fact you are getting him for a three year contract potentially.

Just a thought.
In a keeper league I would do like Gary says - treat him like Arod, Pujols last year, etc. But I'd probably top out at around $10-$12.

cwk1963

#7 Post by cwk1963 »

somerandomguy wrote:Unfortunately we are redrafting next year
Then I'd pass unless he was very cheap and worth the risk.

Hambowen

#8 Post by Hambowen »

I believe in taking certain risks every year based on how big the reward could be. This year Mauer is one of mine. If you can get him for under $15 then I am taking the risk. It could backfire but if he ends up being fine and only missing a month then it could be a difference maker.