The Buehler gambit?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
beaugeste
Low-A

The Buehler gambit?

#1 Post by beaugeste »

One of my Leagues is a traditional 4X4 NL only 12 team keeper league (since 1985). (3 year contracts with $5 per year extensions).
At the end of last year I picked up W. Buehler as a free agent with a $10/1 contract.

To make a long story short I can keep him at $10/2 and pickup in the minor league draft, either Tyler Trammel Cinn, K. Hieurta Milw., or Alex Verdugo at $5/1

Or I can drop Buehler and draft him back as a farmhand at $5/1 instead.
What do you think I should do
a) Keep Buehler at $10 and draft one of the hitters above? In which case which one?
b) Drop Buehler and pick him up again at $5
c) Drop Buehler and pick up one of the hitters above -in which case which one?

All suggestions welcomed!

beaugeste94

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: The Buehler gambit?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

$10 is a pretty significant hit against the auction budget for a guy in the minors. I assume you can reserve and replace him?

It's admittedly number scouting, with a little talking to prospectors, but I like Keston Hiura. In a 4x4 league, with starting pitching being less important, I may just release Buehler and pick up Hiura.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

beaugeste
Low-A

Re: The Buehler gambit?

#3 Post by beaugeste »

Thanks! I was wondering which of those prospects was better- depending upon which prospect ranking you read like Baseball America etc Trammel is ranked higher than Hiura but then some scouts I spoke to at the AFL were very high on Hiura. Yes I can replace Buehler after the auction from the free agent pool. But you are right $10 is always a borderline price - which is probably why that is the designated price for free agents- as it is I am keeping Luis Castillo at $10 but he is clearly and an ace.