NFBC Main Event Team 2018

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
TakestheCake
High-A

NFBC Main Event Team 2018

#1 Post by TakestheCake »

I drafted my Main Event team online and I use the projections found in the Platinum section. I figure I will post the team here and hopefully track the decisions throughout the season. I will not post subscriber level info but just a general consensus.

The draft: NFBC Main event Online. Pick 11. Team Lollygaggers. Seemed like a good mix of well known players and some new names in the league. I have played in the ME with mixed results but feel I have learned enough along the way to start seeing good results.

Draft Plan: My initial idea was to double tap pitchers with the 11th pick thinking it would give me a solid advantage with good hitters still there. . I figured Max would be gone so I was hoping for Kluber and then either Stras or Syndergaard. Then I really wanted Rendon as I believe Davey Martinez will better utilize him in the lineup and Schoop because there is still room for growth in my opinion. Odor would be a target if I was able to get him at the right price. After that I was open to anybody who I felt would help the team. However as the draft would start the best laid plans often go awry:

1. Giancarlo Stanton- The 4 pitchers went 7,8,9,10. I was staring at either Harper or Stanton. Harper went and Stanton the player I preferred went to me.
2. Steven Strasburg- Wanted to still get the arm and chose him simply over Syndergaard simply due to a better track record, probably better team, and arguably better health history.
3. Anthony Rendon- Would love it if he hits in the top 5 the majority of the year.
4. Schoop- Love the 30+ hr potential. Could be top 2nd base player and he was the 3rd one off the board
5. Rivero- I wanted either Rivero or Hand, simply due to contracts. Those 2 teams do not shell out money to lose it or not have a role. Even if they "lose" the job they will have every opportunity to get it back.
6. Khris Davis- First decision for me, either Acuna's upside or the established guy with a role. Happy with Davis but if Acuna makes it the 7th I would take him. He did not, went 2 picks later.
7. Odor- Like the 30 hrs in an awful year contact wise. Know he is starting low in the lineup to start the year but figure he can give me 30 in the MI spot and move his way up in the lineup.
8. Eaton- I love him at the top of this lineup. Will contribute with hr's, some steals, possibly be top 5 in the league in runs, with a good batting average.
9. Jon Gray- I really like Gray if his health holds up. The Coors factor will always be there but he is the ace of team expected to win games.
10. Clevinger- Debated between him, Hill, 1/2 season of Bumgarner. Took Clevinger due to projections and better health.
11. Schwarber- Always concerned about power this year figure here is another guy who hit 30 with a better role.
12. Wilson Ramos- I was thinking Brinson here for SB's but took additional power at the catcher position. Thought Brinson would be had in the 13th but he was taken with the next pick.
13. Shane Greene- I assume he will be showcased for a trade. Saves certainly help the value at the deadline. Will be looking for the "next most likely guy" around July 1st just in case.
14. Bradley Zimmer- Needed SB's figure he will be a decent source.
15. Ahmed Rosario- I actually like his skill set and a bit of a post-hype sleeper. Decent avg, some hr's with sb's and possibly he plays his way up the lineup. He is comparable to Tim Anderson for me and 3 rounds later.
16. Yonder Alonso- Needed to address 1B and CI. I like that he is breakout could be sustainable to a degree. Slightly better ballpark for him and in a good lineup batting 5th.
17. Felix Hernandez- No he is not King Felix anymore but maybe he can be prince felix with decent ratio's albeit without the old k numbers.
18. Matt Harvey- Velocity is back. Health is a concern but maybe just maybe he out-performers his draft slot.
19. Chris Davis- To be honest I missed on most of the other viable 1B-CI guys. Crossing my fingers
20. Willie Calhoun- I think he will suddenly find defensive skill right around the super 2 cutoff. ;) Possibly more fantasy relevant than Acuna?
21. Chance Sisco- Like the bat potential. No job yet, not too much defensive prowess. Maybe Buck says screw defense as he so often does.
22. Brandon Woodruff- A projection play, on a good team. We will see what happens....
23. Kyle Gibson- Liked the 2nd half split. Liked his stuff in Spring Training. Like the team to win games.
24. Reynaldo Lopez- I like Todd's k projection.
25. Howie Kendrick- He can hit and will have the job much of April.... May?..... June...?
26. Curtis Granderson- Power in a good ballpark.Team that wants to play him. Maybe he can run into some hr's and turn back the fountain of youth.
27.Colin Moran- A dart. Perhaps a dull one but I do have Chris Davis on this team.
28. Trevor Cahill- A dart. K's were good. In his best ballpark for half of his starts.
29. Joey Lucchesi- A dart. However this one maybe a bit sharp. Lamet is hurt and I hoped they might give him the opportunity. It seems the will. Could be my first cut or has some potential to stick. I do like his chances.
30. Yusmeiro Petit- All the popular multi-innings guys were gone. All the trendy next closer in waiting guys way gone. Here is a multi-inning guy with close to 100k''s, a win in my book.

At the end of the day. Power should be there with runs, rbi's following. SB's will need work. Avg. Could be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Pitching we will see. I like the potential of the starters but will need saves. What do you think?