rumor that e santana might need surgery?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

rumor that e santana might need surgery?

#1 Post by somerandomguy »

im in a keepers league- hearing rumor e sanatana might need surgery- i just kept him but can trade him out before the draft to someone else- is anyone else hearing this rumor?
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: rumor that e santana might need surgery?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It is common knowledge Santana is having elbow problems. He throwing long toss and the plan is still for him to be ready in early May -- BUT he is a big risk.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by somerandomguy »

i kept him- would you trade him if you can get value?
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3

steve9781

#4 Post by steve9781 »

somerandomguy wrote:i kept him- would you trade him if you can get value?
Guess that depends on your definition of value. I would think your not going to get his value from the pre season before it was announced he was having problems. It's now about gut feeling, and how much risk you can absorb. I drafted him on Sun, knowing whe was hurt, however he fell to the 15th round. I was willing to take the risk, and it's not the end of the world if does miss the season. But I'm banking he doesn't.

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by somerandomguy »

i paid $8 for him- but i would have kept aj if he had a risk of not returning at all-

#6 Post by Guest »

As to your decision, he was/is worth the risk at that price. Obviously we don't know what will happen health-wise. Hopefully he can come back and give a strong second half.

momige
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by momige »

Who is a better pitcher, a healthy Santana or a healthy Escobar?

cwk1963

#8 Post by cwk1963 »

momige wrote:Who is a better pitcher, a healthy Santana or a healthy Escobar?
Santana has the higher ceiling but Escobar's done it longer.

steve9781

#9 Post by steve9781 »

Here is a recent answer to this burning question, in an ESPN chat. Not sure but is Todd from Boston our own Todd Zola ? Only Todd can answer that one :D

Todd, Boston, MA: ervin santana... I hear Tommy John whispers -- others say back mid-may and an ace... any thoughts?

Stephania Bell: Todd: Yep - it could be either. Here's the problem. We know he has a partially torn UCL (TJ ligament). Sometimes guys can throw with this, sometimes not. He had pain so they shut him down, hoping that if the symptoms went away, he could be brought back on a program to pitch. So far, so good, but every day is a new hurdle. He could get 90% there and then not get past that - which ul;timately might mean surgery. He could alsocome back without incident and pitch well...problem is ultimately this is going to catch up with him. We just don't have great predictability with these things - as in it could be months to a couple years.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Nope not me.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord