NFBC AL and NL Auctions

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

NFBC AL and NL Auctions

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Okay, decompressing a but from a pair of back to back auctions after dealing with Internet issues and dropping my cell phone in a cab...

I went old-school and left the laptop upstairs, using just the colored tiers, and I humbly really like what transpired.

13-team NL only, 14 hitters, 10 pitchers

C Castro 3
C Montero 2
1B Atkins 18
2B Phillips 31
3B Stewart 10
SS Theriot 15
MI Miles 2
CI Hall 12
OF Kemp 33
OF Braun 36
OF Willingham 5
OF S Hairston 10
OF Diaz 4
UT Fowler 1
P Vazquez 18
P Jurrjens 9
P Kawakami 9
P Correia 3
P Kinney 1
P Schmidt 1
P Villanueva 5
P Putz 9
P Corpas 9
P B Wilson 13

R Duffy
R Capellan
R Ledezma
R B Ryan
R Troncoso
R Thurston

12-team AL only, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers

C Clement 1
C Olivo 6
1B Betemit 3
2B Polanco 15
3B Lowell 11
SS Scutaro 5
MI Kendrick 117
CI Overbay 10
OF Sizemore 36
OF Ordonez 22
OF Crisp 18
OF Nady 14
OF Rivera 7
UT Lugo 4
P Buehrle 14
P Meche 15
P Baker 17
P Morrow 12
P Adenhart 1
P Laffey 1
P T Walker 1
P Aardsma 3
P Papelbon :) 27

R Matthews
R Inglett
R Cecil
R Zumaya
R Thornton
R Westbrook
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: NFBC AL and NL Auctions

#2 Post by aburt19 »

Nice AL team. When you calculate the numbers based on the projections, it looks like you are a little light on SB. But I like
the upside of Crisp to outperform the projection and get 30-35 SB. You did okay on saves because Walker and Aardsma
should pick up enough between them to give you decent stats in that category. I also like the starters to outperform their
projections, specifically Meche and Baker.

Just a good job of building a team.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Quick note on AL steals --- they were pretty well concentrated on 3 teams, so I should still be middle of the pack even though the raw number look light -- Plus Lugo is the wild card, he sits initially but you never know what happens when he comes back.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

only a half hour until the Main Event - good luck Todd. Closer plan in the 5th or do you wait until the 6th??
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

You put together a pretty good AL team. Till to me there are some ???? surrounding pt for Clement, Betemit and Lowell so I wonder about your power numbers. However, I do like the upside Clement, Betemit and Lugo provide for the dollars spent. I also think the pitching staff is one that should be a top 4 finisher. Was a bit surprised to see what Baker went for. I was figuring $10-$14 range based on his long-ballitis rearing it's ugly head in ST and not having Mauer calling the game for what could be an extended outage. That being said I'm hoping the bidding ends within or lower than my range so I can end up with him.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote:only a half hour until the Main Event - good luck Todd. Closer plan in the 5th or do you wait until the 6th??
Went Nathan in the 6th.

1.10 Braun
2.06 Crawford

rest later

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

CubFan wrote:You put together a pretty good AL team. Till to me there are some ???? surrounding pt for Clement, Betemit and Lowell so I wonder about your power numbers. However, I do like the upside Clement, Betemit and Lugo provide for the dollars spent. I also think the pitching staff is one that should be a top 4 finisher. Was a bit surprised to see what Baker went for. I was figuring $10-$14 range based on his long-ballitis rearing it's ugly head in ST and not having Mauer calling the game for what could be an extended outage. That being said I'm hoping the bidding ends within or lower than my range so I can end up with him.

Thanks

Clement was $1 -- I am really not concerned about him getting 400 AB, he's a complete and utter steal in AL only

Betemit @ $3 is also gold, he is going to play.

With Lugu out, the job is Lowell's. At 11 there is no profit, but I am OK with that.

I'm not giving up AB at any position which most cannot say.

This is the second time I have snagged Betemit and Scutaro in the middle rounds of AL only, I think it is a great ploy to avoid the dregs of the end game.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#8 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:
viper wrote:only a half hour until the Main Event - good luck Todd. Closer plan in the 5th or do you wait until the 6th??
Went Nathan in the 6th.

1.10 Braun
2.06 Crawford

rest later
Nice that Braun lasted until the 10th pick. Based on ADP, it doesn't look like that happens too often.

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#9 Post by shif6 »

What did Kendrick really cost?

aburt19
Major League Elite

#10 Post by aburt19 »

shif6 wrote:What did Kendrick really cost?
I totaled it up. If he went for $11, Todd left $6 on the table. My guess is that Kendrick went for $17.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

shif6 wrote:What did Kendrick really cost?
yes, $17.

whammer
Major League Regular

#12 Post by whammer »

Todd

Where do you see Betemit's AB's coming from - over 350?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't see Fields playing 162, or Konerko for that matter. Or even Thome.

Currently, we have him at 286. For $3? I'll take it as the potential for more is greater than the chance he doesn't get that many.

whammer
Major League Regular

#14 Post by whammer »

I always have a hard time giving up ab"s at the corner's , but I'm a believer in Betemit...

Also, what did Arod go for yest?

Thanks

#15 Post by Guest »

If you gave me Betimit + 50 PA vs Fields, I don't know who I'd take. I'm convinced Betimit is a monster value this year especially in keepers.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#16 Post by CubFan »

Todd Zola wrote:I don't see Fields playing 162, or Konerko for that matter. Or even Thome.

Currently, we have him at 286. For $3? I'll take it as the potential for more is greater than the chance he doesn't get that many.
For me Ozzie is the wild card in all of this. He reminds me of Sweet Lou.....little patience with rookies or young players if they can't produce quickly. Fields needs to get off to a hot start or else. I actually like Konerko for a rebound. Thome, at 38 years old, is not likely to get more than 500 AB this year. I liked Betemit alot last year and had him for $1 but when he wasn't getting much love from NY I let him walk. I'm targeting him again this year and hope to get him for $3 or less.

Interesting strategy in bringing he and Scutaro in the mid rounds. In our league it'll depend on who throws out their names first as to what they'd go for at that point in the draft.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -