NFBC Satellite with #5 pick

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

NFBC Satellite with #5 pick

#1 Post by viper »

When I got this pick, I said great, now I will get one of the Fab Five. That was before ARod went down a tier or two. I had the #6 pick earlier and took Braun. To me, he is the best available at this point but do you want two teams drafting from essentially the same place and staring off the same way? I admit that my third round selection of Markakis was out of nowhere so this draft would likely go in another direction starting at round three but I would take a similar power type guy, maybe a Youkilis. A Markakis/Kemp selection is likely at my turn in round two. Sizemore is not a bad alternative and his SBs would probably change my 8th-12th round picks. Another reason to switch is not putting all your first round eggs in the same basket. Still Braun brings more to the table

Thought from anyone?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

cwk1963

Re: NFBC Satellite with #5 pick

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

I wouldn't have any problem taking Braun again. Start from there and then see what the draft gives you. There's no guarantee all the picks from your 1st round to your 2nd round will play out the same and it will be even less likely the further the draft goes on.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#3 Post by aburt19 »

I think that you are in the same position as when you drafted sixth and had the same choices. I don't think that you can
really go wrong. I would probably choose Sizemore with Braun drafted in the first draft, but not think that drafting Braun
again would be wrong. It's only a disaster if he gets hurt because I don't look for a serious decline since he is young.

#4 Post by Guest »

I love Sizemore this year and I figure I'm pretty likely grabbing him wherever I am in drafts if he's available.

That said, Braun is as good a pick. And I wouldn't let your decisions for one team affect another unless you really are superstitious or just like spreading the wealth.

Hambowen

#5 Post by Hambowen »

Agree with the above. You are in the exact same position as the last draft. So make the same pick imo.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

I took Braun. The next two were Markakis [Kemp already taken] and Youkilis.

Because I just refuse to reach for a 2B/SS [we are talking a $8+ reach], I am finding that after ten rounds I have filled my corners and have four outfielders. two of those last three top ten picks are pitchers [a closer in 6th in all three NFBC draft]. the last one has been a catchers [Mauer slipped a long way], a starter and a middle infielder. I will reach for the power category in those first 10 rounds which explains why I have Carols Pena on two of the three teams. I have been taking him in the 5th round but the reach is really about $4 worth at most. That is within my personal $6 range on players being essentially the same.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Hambowen

#7 Post by Hambowen »

How are your 2b/ss looking on these teams? Are you finding they are gonna be an issue or are you ok with what you have been getting?

viper
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by viper »

I ended with Weeks (11), Guzman (17), Bartlett (14) with Ellis (28) in reserve. I'm not unhappy with the overall etam and that is really what counts. Here are the starting hitters:

C: Pierzynski (19), Olivo (22)
CO/UT: Youkilis (3), Pena (5), Beltre (8), Jacobs (12)
MI: Weeks (11), Bartlett (14), Guzman (17)
OF: Braun (1), Markakis (2), Pence (4), Wells (7), Winn (13)

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#9 Post by aburt19 »

viper wrote:I ended with Weeks (11), Guzman (17), Bartlett (14) with Ellis (28) in reserve. I'm not unhappy with the overall etam and that is really what counts. Here are the starting hitters:

C: Pierzynski (19), Olivo (22)
CO/UT: Youkilis (3), Pena (5), Beltre (8), Jacobs (12)
MI: Weeks (11), Bartlett (14), Guzman (17)
OF: Braun (1), Markakis (2), Pence (4), Wells (7), Winn (13)
Your team looks fine on power. You might be a little light on SB. Nice pickup of Pierzynski in the 19th round. Most mocks
that I have been in, he's gone in the 15th/16th. He's not a sexy pick, but he's a safe pick, if there is such a thing.

viper
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by viper »

agree on the steals. My teams historically are in the 4-8 category point range in steals - on the 15 top in the NFBC. I push for power. The one thing you can find on the free agent market is steals. There are always some Raja Davis types there. That said, if you told me all these starters would never miss a game all season, i would smile broadly.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer