QS and Saves + Holds

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
dogg_44

QS and Saves + Holds

#1 Post by dogg_44 »

Hey guys, I am seeking some general thought on how to approach pitching with these categories. I am used to standard 5x5 roto, but we have elected in our league to switch to the above-titled QS and Save + holds. It's seems to be it devalues starters a bit in that now I don't have to seek pitchers that are on good teams as much (but still pay attention to overall team defense).

At the same time, it seems to devalue closers as now Holds count as well. Middle relief typically does not produce as many holds as saves, but I am thinking that top end middle relief still has to be better than speculative bottom tier closers. At the same time, the vulture W for middle relief is gone as well, so maybe it washes out for middle relief.

Both of my leagues this year are auctions. It seems to me in this type of scenario, more than ever, one should skew more towards hitting than pitching, as overall pitching depth will have increased. Am I wrong in my thoughts? Would anyone be willing to lend any other salient thoughts I am failing to see or raise other strategic points I have overlooked?

Thanks guys!

Heckah
High-A

Re: QS and Saves + Holds

#2 Post by Heckah »

Is it H2H? Is it still 5x5? Weekly league?

It gives you more of a reason than ever to punt saves, if it's H2H, you can grab an MR or two off the wire when you go against another guy who punted the category and steal a point a handful of times a year...