Keeper Angst

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Shyguy30

Keeper Angst

#1 Post by Shyguy30 »

I am in a 14-team mixed roto H2H league with weekly lineup changes. It is a 6x6 with BB added for hitters as well as net SB instead of SB. Pitcher categories are ERA, WHIP, QS, SV, K, and HRA (lower number being better). We have 9 offensive players (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CF, 2 OF, and UTIL) and 7 pitcher spots (4 SP, 2 RP, 1P). We can keep up to 5 players but do not have to keep that many. Salaries inflate at the rate of 7/5/3 for up to 3 contract years. So a $10 player last year could be kept this year for $17, or signed to a 3-year contract for $17, $22, $25. My only iron-clad keeper is Jose Abreu at $26 but I have 3 others I am strongly considering. Having 3 pitching categories where less is more I have decided that it makes sense to get 3 relievers (preferably closers) and buy 2 co-aces to anchor my starting staff in an effort to win ERA, WHIP, and HRA most of the time. I can then play matchups and use the majority of my bench spots on $1-$2 ground-balling SPs.

I can keep Phil Hughes for $11, which seems ok until I consider trying to compete in Ks. He doesn't seem to qualify as an "ace" but is too expensive not to be used as such (under this strategy, which I'm convinced is sound). Plus fly-ball pitchers scare me even in Target Field. The other 2 I am torn on are $8 Howie Kendrick and $10 Lucas Duda. I think both are good buys at those prices but if I keep Duda I have 1B and UTIL already filled going into the auction leaving me no flexibility whatsoever. Kendrick doesn't draw many BBs or provide power or speed numbers. I *might* even be able to get them back at those prices if I decide I want them. Am I overthinking it? Is it crazy to go into the auction with one keeper? I'm open to all suggestions or criticisms.

Lucas.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keeper Angst

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd have to think about the others (sorry on the road - didn't bring my thinking cap) but Duda scares me - too many options to platoon with him (Cuddyer) and in a league that size, you should get his equivalent in the end game.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord