Daily Fantasy 6/5 - FanDuel evening games

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Daily Fantasy 6/5 - FanDuel evening games

#1 Post by alleyoops »

Thought I'd attempt to start a thread each day talking about daily fantasy for that evening. Not sure what level of interest there is here in daily, but it's become pretty popular. I've been dabbling at 50/50 salary cap games with some success, primarily using the "keys" that Todd mentioned in earlier related posts. I play on FanDuel every day, and on Fantasy Feud and DraftStreet pretty often. Figured I'd gear the posts here specifically to FanDuel, to eliminate the site price differences. If it turns out there's interest, maybe we can do a separate topic for the other 2 sites each day, or other sites on which I don't currently play.

I'm only including evening games - 7pm eastern or later - as with those we know the lineups and weather situation by the entry deadline.

For 6/5:

P - I like Wood over Wacha. He's $1600 less, favored by a little more, and faces a weaker offense. deGrom's a possibility, as well, but he's a rookie pitching away. Also, there's some concern about weather in KC.
C - Montero's my play, in COL facing a bad righty.
1B - Between CDavis and Morneau, as both are in good situations. Slightly favor Davis as Morneau's been a bit sluggish lately. NOTE: Morneau's sitting tonight.
2B - Altuve or Dozier look good, but this may be a good spot to save on $, to fit better players elsewhere. I currently settled for Kendrick, who has a righty/righty matchup, but is cheap.
3B - Beltre's been on fire and faces an average pitcher at home. I'm going with him ahead of the other choices. Carpenter would probably be my next choice, but he has a tougher matchup vs Ventura.
SS - Going with the more expensive Tulo over Aybar, who has a nice matchup.
OF - Hamilton, Blackmon, Parra currently. Gomez, Springer too pricy. Considered Choo and AJones.

So my current lineup is Wood, Montero, Davis, Kendrick, Beltre, Tulo, Hamilton, Blackmon, Parra. I'll edit the post if any of these guys aren't playing, or weather looks really bad somewhere causing me to make swaps.

Please share your thoughts/comments.
Last edited by alleyoops on June 5th, 2014, 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Captain Hook

Re: Daily Fantasy 6/5

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

If you just want to discuss Fan Duel then PUT that in your subject line (can use edit)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Daily Fantasy 6/5 - FanDuel evening games

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll chime in as I can -- but to be honest I'm usually putting lineups in and may not have time to post.

FWIW -- I am presently working on a major upgrade to the projection and pricing tool at Fantasy Alarm.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by alleyoops »

Cool - look forward to the upgrade to the tool. I check it sometimes now, but it's cumbersome to not have the salaries with the projection data. I wind up using it more as a "sanity check" after I've completed the first pass at my lineups, sorting hitters by HR/RBI/R/SB and pitchers by K, IP, ER.

Side topic - seems like there's a business opportunity for a new (or current) site that would offer better odds than the current standard of 5 to win 4 or 11 to win 9. Less profit per contest, but should easily make it up on volume, as the serious players would choose the new site over all others. I think this is inevitable, and the first site that goes that route will probably dominate the industry.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

alleyoops wrote:Cool - look forward to the upgrade to the tool. I check it sometimes now, but it's cumbersome to not have the salaries with the projection data. I wind up using it more as a "sanity check" after I've completed the first pass at my lineups, sorting hitters by HR/RBI/R/SB and pitchers by K, IP, ER.
Then you haven't seen the (not-so) new tool. http://www.fantasyalarm.com/projections/
alleyoops wrote:Side topic - seems like there's a business opportunity for a new (or current) site that would offer better odds than the current standard of 5 to win 4 or 11 to win 9. Less profit per contest, but should easily make it up on volume, as the serious players would choose the new site over all others. I think this is inevitable, and the first site that goes that route will probably dominate the industry.
It's not that easy -- the margins are already razor thin. It's like saying someone should start a burger chain and charge less than McDonalds and they'd clean up.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by alleyoops »

Todd Zola wrote:
alleyoops wrote:Cool - look forward to the upgrade to the tool. I check it sometimes now, but it's cumbersome to not have the salaries with the projection data. I wind up using it more as a "sanity check" after I've completed the first pass at my lineups, sorting hitters by HR/RBI/R/SB and pitchers by K, IP, ER.
Then you haven't seen the (not-so) new tool. http://www.fantasyalarm.com/projections/

Way cool - thanks!!!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

My first lineup -- FWIW this is more a GPP than cash game option

P Tyler Skaggs $6,200 LAA@HOU ✗
C Wilin Rosario $3,300 ARI@COL ✗
1B Chris Davis $3,600 BAL@TEX ✗
2B Aaron Hill $3,000 ARI@COL ✗
3B Adrian Beltre $3,800 BAL@TEX ✗
SS Troy Tulowitzki $4,500 ARI@COL ✗
OF Corey Dickerson $3,700 ARI@COL ✗
OF Michael Cuddyer $3,300 ARI@COL ✗
OF Shin-Soo Choo $3,600 BAL@TEX ✗

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by alleyoops »

Todd Zola wrote:My first lineup -- FWIW this is more a GPP than cash game option

P Tyler Skaggs $6,200 LAA@HOU ✗

OF Corey Dickerson $3,700 ARI@COL ✗
OF Shin-Soo Choo $3,600 BAL@TEX ✗
I've focused on the 50/50s, and to a lesser extent the Pickems. We have some overlap, but there are a number of differences. The most notable are that you've stacked the Rockies, and to some degree minimized the LH/RH factor, which I've been weighing heavily.

P Travis Wood $7,100 NYM@CHC ✗
C Miguel Montero $3,100 ARI@COL ✗
2B Howie Kendrick $2,600 LAA@HOU ✗
OF Josh Hamilton $3,700 LAA@HOU ✗
OF Gerardo Parra $2,800 ARI@COL ✗
OF Charlie Blackmon $3,700 ARI@COL ✗

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

The quality of opposing pitchers trumps handedness tonight

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

OF Kole Calhoun $2,900 LAA@HOU ✗

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

P Michael Wacha $8,700 STL@KAN ✗
1B Albert Pujols $3,400 LAA@HOU ✗
2B Howie Kendrick $2,600 LAA@HOU ✗
OF Gerardo Parra $2,800 ARI@COL ✗
OF Junior Lake $2,600 NYM@CHC ✗

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#12 Post by alleyoops »

Todd Zola wrote:#2

OF Kole Calhoun $2,900 LAA@HOU ✗
Much closer to mine. I went with Parra over Kalhoun, but could easily have gone the other way. I was swayed by Parra's nice night last night, I think. Cuddyer/Hill vs Hamilton/Kendrick seems like a wash to me, with Hamilton having more upside than Cuddyer and Hill having more upside than Kendrick. I did notice that the daily projections favor Cuddyer over Hamilton, which explains you going that direction.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

I did a third primarily b/c i wanted to get a lineup with Parra in there.

I'm doing my MLBAM QA job now so I couldn't really devote the attention I usually put in. Good thing about tonight is it will end early 8-)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

NEVER EVER POSTING MY LINEUP AGAIN

WORST. NIGHT. EVER.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#15 Post by alleyoops »

Definitely a strange night, with all of the decent pitching options doing poorly. I did manage to break even with my lineup, which has a score of 42 pts with one game still ongoing in the 9th. Points so far:

P Travis Wood $7,100 NYM@CHC ✗ 6
C Miguel Montero $3,100 ARI@COL ✗ 8.5
1B Chris Davis $3,600 BAL@TEX ✗ 2.5
2B Howie Kendrick $2,600 LAA@HOU ✗ -1
3B Adrian Beltre $3,800 BAL@TEX ✗ 2.5
SS Troy Tulowitzki $4,500 ARI@COL ✗ 9.75
OF Josh Hamilton $3,700 LAA@HOU ✗ -1
OF Gerardo Parra $2,800 ARI@COL ✗ 6.25
OF Charlie Blackmon $3,700 ARI@COL ✗ 8.25

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

I actually ended up cashing in 1 of 3 double ups and if they didn't rob Tulo and Rosario at the wall, it would have been 3 for 3.

But 0-for-3 with pitching is not a good thing.