Tell me I'm crazy. Or don't, it's up to you.

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Shyguy30

Tell me I'm crazy. Or don't, it's up to you.

#1 Post by Shyguy30 »

I've been toying with implementing an unusual pitching strategy in one of my leagues this year. It is a 6x6 H2H league with 14 teams, weekly lineup changes. Pitching categories are QS, SV, ERA, WHIP, HRA, K. The pitching starting spots are as follows: SP SP SP SP RP RP P. We are allowed up to 5 keepers but I went for it last year finishing 2nd so I just have 1, Chris Sale at $15. There's not much inflation due to the quickly escalating salary structure. It struck me that three of the pitching categories are "negative" categories (fewer hits, HR, or earned runs). That got me thinking of a way to zig while everyone else is not only zagging but scratching their heads.

Take 2 mid-level closers that won't hurt ratios to occupy the RP slots, draft 2 additional top 25 starting pitchers and then use a match-up basis to fill the last 2 spots, consisting of 3-4 $1 starting pitchers and 2 top middle relievers. By front-loading my rotation and using 3-4 relievers, I should be able to win ERA, WHIP, and HRA most weeks. I just can't figure out if I would give up too much in QS and K to make it worthwhile. Has anyone else considered such a strategy in a H2H league? I've always been a balanced roster "don't give any categories away" type manager. But I'm intrigued. Any feedback is welcomed.

Lucas

Captain Hook

Re: Tell me I'm crazy. Or don't, it's up to you.

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Shyguy30 wrote:I've been toying with implementing an unusual pitching strategy in one of my leagues this year. It is a 6x6 H2H league with 14 teams, weekly lineup changes. Pitching categories are QS, SV, ERA, WHIP, HRA, K. The pitching starting spots are as follows: SP SP SP SP RP RP P. We are allowed up to 5 keepers but I went for it last year finishing 2nd so I just have 1, Chris Sale at $15. There's not much inflation due to the quickly escalating salary structure. It struck me that three of the pitching categories are "negative" categories (fewer hits, HR, or earned runs). That got me thinking of a way to zig while everyone else is not only zagging but scratching their heads.

Take 2 mid-level closers that won't hurt ratios to occupy the RP slots, draft 2 additional top 25 starting pitchers and then use a match-up basis to fill the last 2 spots, consisting of 3-4 $1 starting pitchers and 2 top middle relievers. By front-loading my rotation and using 3-4 relievers, I should be able to win ERA, WHIP, and HRA most weeks. I just can't figure out if I would give up too much in QS and K to make it worthwhile. Has anyone else considered such a strategy in a H2H league? I've always been a balanced roster "don't give any categories away" type manager. But I'm intrigued. Any feedback is welcomed.

Lucas
Certainly playable the way you suggest - I would try and find the relievers that could inherit the closers role in the future and I would also look at a guy who is going to start but is designated RP - Tanner Scheppers fits the bill to a T .... Robbie Ross might also work.

For the matchup SP you want to try and find a guy who is not highly regarded this year but who could easily develop into a cheap keeper SP for next year as well - Hector Santiago comes to mind, perhaps Erasmo Ramirez. I doubt you can get James Paxton or Michael Pineda cheaply (if even available).

You don't say what your leagues DL rules are but if that is in play there are several options I like obviously starting with Taijuan Walker and then Derek Holland. I would also take a fly on Colby Lewis as Texas is far more interested in having him pitch late in the season and have other options out of the gate.

Hope that helps and will be glad to continue the discussion of finding some additional targets

Shyguy30

#3 Post by Shyguy30 »

Thanks Perry. Pineda has been kept as he was signed to a 3-year deal after his rookie year. I am planning to use 4 of my 6 bench spots on pitchers so I can throw some things at the wall. I had already identified Paxton as a guy to target. I'd probably rather have someone I can use at SP that is in relief. I was unable to find anyone in that vein except Tommy Hunter, and I doubt he comes cheaply enough for me to get. We have 2 DL spots and I usually see if I can get one injured player on the cheap that could turn into a keeper. Is Holland that guy or am I better off with Medlen/Parker/Beachy? Santiago and Ramirez are both great suggestions. I'll throw a few other names at you to see what you think. Would someone in this group be worth looking at? Cosart, Chatwood, Mejia, Eovaldi. Or would I be better off picking up some boring pitchers that might help more this year (Gee, Haren, Lohse, Quintana)? I'll probably end up taking 2 of each, but appreciate your response.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Shyguy30 wrote:Thanks Perry. Pineda has been kept as he was signed to a 3-year deal after his rookie year. I am planning to use 4 of my 6 bench spots on pitchers so I can throw some things at the wall. I had already identified Paxton as a guy to target. I'd probably rather have someone I can use at SP that is in relief. I was unable to find anyone in that vein except Tommy Hunter, and I doubt he comes cheaply enough for me to get. We have 2 DL spots and I usually see if I can get one injured player on the cheap that could turn into a keeper. Is Holland that guy or am I better off with Medlen/Parker/Beachy? Santiago and Ramirez are both great suggestions. I'll throw a few other names at you to see what you think. Would someone in this group be worth looking at? Cosart, Chatwood, Mejia, Eovaldi. Or would I be better off picking up some boring pitchers that might help more this year (Gee, Haren, Lohse, Quintana)? I'll probably end up taking 2 of each, but appreciate your response.

Eovaldi is the guy you want

Holland will pitch this year the TJS guys won't and IIRC this will be the second TJS for all three (for sure Parker and Beachy)

Alexi Ogando is now a SP that will be in the bullpen - not guaranteeing his results but ...

of the "boring" guys I like all of them for what they are but Haren pitching for a much better team in a much better pitcher's part stands out - also more strikeouts

Shyguy30

#5 Post by Shyguy30 »

Thanks again Perry! The auction isn't until the 29th but I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I can build in enough flexibility to hedge my bets.