NL keeper help

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

NL keeper help

#1 Post by Spread da wealth »

5x5 NL only. A few rules: 11 hitters including only 1 catcher, 7 pitchers (no more than 2 SP can be kept, and staff must have at least 4 SP and 2 RP), and dynasty with a twist - while any one or two players can be kept indefinitely, there is a point max prohibiting keeping three or more indefinitely.

Best keeper options:
due to years already kept, can keep at most 2 of these 3:
McCutchen
Stanton
Kimbrel

Other possible keepers:
Posey
M. Carpenter
Hamilton
Belt
Gyorko
J. Fernandez
J. Zimmermann
Bailey
Estrada
Medlen (uh-oh on the elbow?)
Wacha

If I keep 2 of the first 3 and Posey, I'll again be in the position next year (due to their then-seniority) of being able only to keep 2 of those 3. And in a 1 catcher league, the pool of catchers is fairly deep this year. I love Posey and had him in his MVP year but wanted to mention those additional considerations.

Which 2 of the first group and 3 of the remainder would you keep?

Thanks!

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: NL keeper help

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Group 1 , I keep Mc Cutcheon and Kimbrel. I ditch Stanton for three reasons;
  • Go no further than John Henry's tweet back to Marlin Land - it's Stanton and a cast of 1000s
  • Stadium's only been in play for two years but their HR rate is 31% below par in the NL - not good news for a slugger.
  • With that lineup, why would anyone in their right mind give him something to hit?
Group 2 - Carpenter (as much for his position as output - have you seen the graveyard known as 3B this year?), Zimmerman (they don't come much more consistent that him), Fernandez because of his youth and potential by a hair over Wacha Deciding factor just may be that aforementioned HR rate.
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on March 13th, 2014, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Have you looked at TRADING some of the questionable keepers?

Does your league have a minor league system?

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Spread da wealth »

Thanks, big kid.

And no, Captain, we have no minor leaguers in this league (not at the draft and not during the year). The league is also not big on trading, with maybe one or two trades per year total, but I'll look at other rosters. Maybe there's a win-win possibility where I give up a couple of guys who are among my top 4-7 or so for an upgrade. Good idea.