NFBC DC # 4 bench advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

NFBC DC # 4 bench advice

#1 Post by UK BlueCat »

I'm into the 24th round of my latest DC draft and I must say it is excruciatingly slow. There are 4 picks before my pick in the 24th round and it will probably take several hours before I'm up so I thought I'd ask for some opinions as I start to fill out my bench. First, I'll post my team and tell you who's available.
C: Wieters, Martin
CI: Fielder, Sandoval, Loney
MI: Kendrick, A Ramirez, Infante
OF: Gomez, Choo, Beltran, KDavis, Calhoun
UT: Parra

SP: Sale, Medlen, Cingrani, Smyly, Kluber, Niese
CL: K Jansen, Feliz

Bench: Mercer

Best Available:
C: Ellis, Soto, Hundley, Arencubia, Norris
3B: Davidson, Uribe, Reynolds, Asche, Francisco, Young
OF: Ozuna, Joyce, Ruggiano, Murphy, Dirks, ibanez
SP: Hughes, Hellickson, Santiago, Miley, Morton, Chen, Norris
RP: Melancon, Allen, Lindstrom, Qualls

I was set to take Plouffe in the 23rd and Mercer 24th but Plouffe went 1 pick before me. I took Mercer and am now trying to decide where to go. I had the 13th pick overall so after this next pick, I'm waiting 24 picks. I wanted to cover my IF by taking a 3b but there's not much left there. I need another starter to fill out my staff but there's several left I like. I'll need to troll for a 3rd closer as Soria was nabbed from me 2 rounds ago . There are several solid outfielders that could give me depth and fill in should Parra lose time to Pollock. So what direction would you go with this rd 24 pick?
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats

Captain Hook

Re: NFBC DC # 4 bench advice

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

UK BlueCat wrote:I'm into the 24th round of my latest DC draft and I must say it is excruciatingly slow. There are 4 picks before my pick in the 24th round and it will probably take several hours before I'm up so I thought I'd ask for some opinions as I start to fill out my bench. First, I'll post my team and tell you who's available.
C: Wieters, Martin
CI: Fielder, Sandoval, Loney
MI: Kendrick, A Ramirez, Infante
OF: Gomez, Choo, Beltran, KDavis, Calhoun
UT: Parra

SP: Sale, Medlen, Cingrani, Smyly, Kluber, Niese
CL: K Jansen, Feliz

Bench: Mercer

Best Available:
C: Ellis, Soto, Hundley, Arencubia, Norris
3B: Davidson, Uribe, Reynolds, Asche, Francisco, Young
OF: Ozuna, Joyce, Ruggiano, Murphy, Dirks, ibanez
SP: Hughes, Hellickson, Santiago, Miley, Morton, Chen, Norris
RP: Melancon, Allen, Lindstrom, Qualls

I was set to take Plouffe in the 23rd and Mercer 24th but Plouffe went 1 pick before me. I took Mercer and am now trying to decide where to go. I had the 13th pick overall so after this next pick, I'm waiting 24 picks. I wanted to cover my IF by taking a 3b but there's not much left there. I need another starter to fill out my staff but there's several left I like. I'll need to troll for a 3rd closer as Soria was nabbed from me 2 rounds ago . There are several solid outfielders that could give me depth and fill in should Parra lose time to Pollock. So what direction would you go with this rd 24 pick?
First Parra is the starting RF not losing time to Pollock

I would be concerned about having just two catchers and would draft Josmil Pinto, MIN but if he is gond get A.J. Ellis for steady
IF the RP Allen is Cody he is a tier ahead of the others because of the questions about Axford (though I think he has a fair leash)

UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by UK BlueCat »

Thanks for the thoughts Perry. The Allen is in fact Cody. Pinto is gone so I will take Ellis this round and will probably look at one of the relievers and a starter the next 2.
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mbendar »

Unless I'm missing something, your only 3b is Sandoval and he of course has his injury concerns. Having a nice backup plan for C is good, but it won't hurt nearly as much as not having a 3b in your lineup. If not this round, I would grab one of those 3b below on the way back or soon after.

UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by UK BlueCat »

I ended up taking Ellis in the 24th and Davidson in the 25th. The guy who picked next after I chose Davidson was upset b/c Davidson was gonna be his pick. I guess I lucked out on that one. Otherwise, it would've been Uribe. Allen and Melancon have been picked so I'll have to look elsewhere for potential saves. I'm looking to fill my starting lineup by taking my 7th sp with my 26th pick. I'm thinking it's between Santiago, W Chen and Hughes right now. My thinking is Santiago probably has the most upside but also the most risk.
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Santiago clearly the best of that group

don't forget Pedro Strop for saves potential
and in light of the Tanaka signing by the Yankees with the Orioles really spend market money for a closer? Tommy Hunter becomes draftable in my eyes and even Darren O'Day has some value

UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by UK BlueCat »

I went with Santiago in the 26th. That completes my 23 starting positions. Now, I need to build up some starting pitching depth, get a potential closer or 2 and find a couple outfield bench bats.

Closer wise, names like Qualls, Lindstrom, Strop, Black, Oday, Krod, Burton, Gregerson, Ziegler and Clippard are the top available guys. Hunter was taken a few rounds ago.

There's still several good starters available. Guys like W Chen, Hughes, Norris, DeLaRosa, H Alvarez, Eovaldi, W Peralta, W Rodriguez, Luebke, M Gonzalez, Guthrie, Vargas, Richards, Skaggs, and Harrison.

Outfielders available are Murphy, Dirks, Ibanez, Ruggiano, Ozuna, Marisnick, Hoes, Ross, Ludwick, Lagares, D Young and minor leaguer Polanco.

Of those 3 groups, who would you be targeting for my next 2 picks in Round 27 and 28?
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

UK BlueCat wrote:I went with Santiago in the 26th. That completes my 23 starting positions. Now, I need to build up some starting pitching depth, get a potential closer or 2 and find a couple outfield bench bats.

Closer wise, names like Qualls, Lindstrom, Strop, Black, Oday, Krod, Burton, Gregerson, Ziegler and Clippard are the top available guys. Hunter was taken a few rounds ago.

There's still several good starters available. Guys like W Chen, Hughes, Norris, DeLaRosa, H Alvarez, Eovaldi, W Peralta, W Rodriguez, Luebke, M Gonzalez, Guthrie, Vargas, Richards, Skaggs, and Harrison.

Outfielders available are Murphy, Dirks, Ibanez, Ruggiano, Ozuna, Marisnick, Hoes, Ross, Ludwick, Lagares, D Young and minor leaguer Polanco.

Of those 3 groups, who would you be targeting for my next 2 picks in Round 27 and 28?
1) Ruggiano the clear choice
2) Amongst the starters I like Alvarez and Miguel A. Gonzalez, PHL

You can troll for closers when you don't have a clear pick - I like Strop, Lindstrom, Qualls in that order plus Ziegler ... KRod is a great wilccard IF the Orioles don't sign Rodney

UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by UK BlueCat »

Was able to grab Ruggiano and Gonzalez. That gives me viable backup coverage at all positions in Mercer, Davidson, Ruggiano and Ellis with Loney, Infante and Parra as my MI, CI and UT. I probably need to take another OF or 2 for depth and pound some starting pitching. I'm tempted to take a chance on Derek Holland and a June/July return but I don't want to take him too early. At this point, there's still several guys with locked in rotation spots. I typically like to get veteran guys like Buehrle and Guthrie to spot start when they have favorable matchups.
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats