DH/Util slots

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
uharchmajor

DH/Util slots

#1 Post by uharchmajor »

Just curious what other people's thoughts are on the DH/Util slot (my league uses 2 slots). When do you fill it/them?
If the right player comes across during the draft I'm ok with filling my Util slot before I finish the rest of the lineup. But at what point is it to early? Disregarding fulltime DHs like Ortiz. What I'm referring to are those instances you fill it with a position you've already filled previously in the drafted.

In a 12 team points H2H league, I'm thinking about filling my Util slot in the first round (11th overall) with a top free agent at a scarce position. I currently have Martin for 3 years and with my top options back in the draft being A.Ram, Mauer, Roberts, Broxton, and Atkins; I'm debating whether or not to draft Mauer or go with A.Ram. Here are the points totals per MB projections

A.Ram - 470
Mauer - 433
Roberts - 446
Broxton - 428
Atkins - 445

This gets a little complex because of the keeper rules. My first round player will likely replace one of my expiring contracts (Granderson and Nathan). On the flip side, and trying to think ahead come the trade deadline, if I'm in a good position for a run at the money; I could trade Martin or Mauer for an expiring contract and a lesser keeper. The DH slot would be easy to fill and I'd have an opportunity to pick up a package based around 1 of the following: Lincecum, Manny, Liriano, Lackey, or Carlos Lee. But then again if I don't end up trading one at the deadline next year I'll likely have two catchers under contract...not a wise move in my book. For this season at least, Mauer is one of the top options for my first round draft pick.

Any thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: DH/Util slots

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

To me, Mauer is a general risk, for as we state in the profiles, any time your primary contribution is BA, you are a risk. Add in the health concerns, and I would reconsider.

In general, if you have some flexibility with respect to eligibility, you can fill the UT/DH earlier than normal. In addition, if you have someone like Utley, Kinsler, ARod, Chipper, ie an injury risk, you may want to fill the UT with someone of quality you can slide into the injured player's spot and backfill UT with best available.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord