Todd's NFBC DC Express

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Todd's NFBC DC Express

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

We've had several ask about the NFBC Draft Championship format so I thought I'd post my team in the first DC Express - all 50 rounds in one sitting. It looks like there will be held every Friday night.

By means of a little background, I did not have an ADP with me even though they're available. I didn't want to be influenced. I'll post it by position as well.

1.9 Carlos Gonzalez Ninth is enough of a discount to take a chance he stays healhy
2.7 Carlos Gomez I have him a 1st rounder and didn't want to play chicken to see If he lasted till the 3rd
3.9 Felix Hernandez 3rd round is full of risky hitter so I went with a safe starter
4.7 Jose Bautista then I got a risky 3rd round hitter in the 4th
5.9 David Price wanted Trumbo for his power to offset the speed I have but felt I could wait so I grabbed best arm left
6.7 Mark Trumbo and it worked!
7.9 Martin Prado flexibility helps in this format
8.7 Kyle Seager I think he's still developing
9.9 Hyun-jin Ryu I wasn't aware that two teams were dumping saves which meant more SP were taken so I took the last SP3 on my lists
10.7 Wilson Ramos If healthy can be a top-10 C
11.9 Addison Reed I went with the guy that should get the most saves from what was left as opposed to best ratios
12.7 Jimmy Rollins I know, but it’s the 12th flippin' round
13.9 Jeff Samardzija Love K's from my SP4
14.7 Neftali Feliz I think he closes
15.9 Miguel Montero Bounce back coming and he hits top-half
16.7 Dan Straily I sense people don't know how good he is
17.9 Kole Calhoun Like getting little of everything from a guy this late -- they usually have a wart of some kind
18.7 Adam LaRoche A sentimental fave
19.9 Rex Brothers Latroy Hawkins, really?
20.7 Zack Cozart Blech -- but I need a durable guy to back up Rollins
21.9 David Freese Infield depth
22.7 Joaquin Benoit I failed at handcuffing my own guys so I figured I'd get the best available from others
23.9 Marco Scutaro not a fan of this pick
24.7 Charlie Morton but I do like this one -- revamped his approach and is an asset at home
25.9 Gordon Beckham Prado can play 2B and I have enough 3B to keep it that way but I wanted an option to Scutaro, just in case
26.7 Jonathan Schoop Can you tell I don't love my middle infield?
27.9 John Jaso Should see AB at DH and at least play semi-regularly if I need him
28.7 Juan Francisco Right now the starter and has that desirable 1B/3B eligibility
29.9 Aaron Hicks Should get another shot
30.7 Cody Ross should be healthy by the time I need him
31.9 Brett Oberholtzer better than you think
32.7 Brandon Barnes Part CarGo insurance, part b/c I think he can play
33.9 Daric Barton Lawr thinks he'll win the gig
34.7 Tanner Scheppers handcuffing the handcuff I didn't get (Soria)
35.9 Randall Delgado sort of surprised he was available
36.7 Chris Rusin time to start loading up on starters
37.9 Taylor Jordan ditto
38.7 Seth Smith could be useful if facing a string of RHP with mid-week moves
39.9 Andre Rienzo looked promising in late season audition
40.7 Mark Appel have some injury concerns so hoping an Appel a day keeps the team Doctor away. You're welcome.
41.9 Joel Peralta skilled enough (high K/9) to use in a pinch
42.7 Carlos Carrasco could start
43.9 Aaron Loup closer sleeper
44.7 Kyle Crick Not much in the way of depth in San Fran so you never know
45.9 Tyler Lyons speculative starter
46.7 Nick Tepesch ditto
47.9 Jhonatan Solano backup to Ramos
48.7 Alex Sanabia always liked him, sort of a handcuff to Delgado
49.9 Josh Vitters I just wanna get this thing done already
50.7 Darin Mastroianni Oh wait, I can hedge Hicks
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Todd's NFBC DC Express

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

C: Ramos, M Montero (Jaso, Solano)
1B: Trumbo (LaRoche, Barton) wanted enough coverage that I could move Trumbo to OF
3B: Seager (Freese, Francisco, Vitters)
2B: Prado (Scutaro, Beckham, Schoop)
SS: Rollins
MI: Cozart (also backs up SS)
OF: CarGoCOL, CarGoMIL, Bautista, Calhoun, Hicks (Ross, Mastroianni, Smith, Barnes)
UT: Probably a corner, we'll see
SP: Felix, Price, Ryu, Samardzija, Straily, Morton, Oberholtzer (Delgado, Rusin, Jordan, Rienzo, Appel, Crick, Carrasco, Tepesch, Lyons, Sanabia)
RP: Reed, Feliz (Brothers, Benoit, Scheppers, Peralta, Loup)

Don't love MI and am worried about SB (unless Hicks comes through).

It will come down to my pitching doing what its supposed to do along with accruing ample AB to stay afloat in hitting.

Like but don't love this effort.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mbendar »

Gomez wasn't going to make it to the 3rd - I was 1 pick away from having a very nice Miggy/Gomez start in mine, but he was taken at 2.13. You may have him ranked a little better than most, but he is rightfully being drafted consistently in the 2nd round. As long as his speed stays constant at around 40 SB, he should deliver 2nd round numbers even if he takes a slight step backward. If he improves, 1st round pick in the 2nd round like you project.

Feliz is a nice grab in the 14th - he has the best pedigree and can be going round 10 or earlier in the March drafts if the job looks to be his. He went 11th round in mine.

Nice job with the team but wouldn't expect anything less.

Mark

southpaw

#4 Post by southpaw »

Tepesch in round 46 is a nice find. Will mark that one down.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

FWIW I've known Tepesch since he was about 13. Played ball with my son through high school. Great kid and family. Great makeup. Doesn't let things bother him. Would love to see his change-up become a more viable third pitch as his fastball and slider are decent. Am hoping he gets a shot to be in the rotation this year. Had him on my team for part of the season. I'll try to get him again as my 5th SP. Decent flyer.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I keep coming back hoping to see some criticism of the team and all I keep seeing is what a great pick and what a great guy Nick Tepesch is :lol:

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#7 Post by CubFan »

:D Since I don't do NL it's hard to comment on those players you chose and in what round. I do like your Straily and Calhoun picks as I think Calhoun has a good shot at a 15-15 season if he gets the ABs…..which I think he will. At 33 looks like Bautista is having at harder and harder time staying healthy and wonder if you'll get the ABs you need in order for him to produce to justify a 4th round pick.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -