First real NFBC draft

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

First real NFBC draft

#1 Post by viper »

$126 pay top three league drafted last night. If you got the latest MDC ADP for Satellite leagues, this one was included. I can tell based on ARod going in the 12th round.

Not looking for a rating as I can do that myself. I am a dedicated Bully hitting/Manage pitcher proponent. I look for a staff with solid ERA/WHIP numbers and then plan to try and maximize starts. I also usually go a few early week with a tendency toward safety in ratios - like using a solid ratio setup man. Safety & streaming may conflict a bit but that's my problem. Slowey was my 1st SP and he was selected in the 11th round. Max was taken in the 12th and then I took two hitters [Reynolds and Lewis in 13 & 14]. After 14 rounds I had 10 hitters, two closers and two starters.

using START with my projections [a mix of MB & BBHQ] my numbers are;
1099R, 1092RBI, 279HR, 155SB, .277AVG
3.84ERA, 1.26WHIO, 73SV, 1055K, 87W

Using my projections numbers for the top 30 catchers & top 180 position players would yield the following team averages for hitting.
1056Runs, 1036RBI, 258HR, 130SB, .279AVG.

In the real world SBs will be higher then my projections as almost all the starting players outside my 180 non catching position players selected as starters were one-trick pony SB types. People reach for SBs in lieu of power towards the end of the draft. They actually reach through the whole draft but that reaching just causes a 20th round player going in round 15. I'm referring to drafting negative value players as starters.

I figure Wins & Ks will go up with Ratios getting worse as I stream a two start SP each week.

And my team is:
C: Clement, Baker
1B/CO: Votto, Pena
3B/UT: Atkins, Reynolds
2B/MI: Polanco, Ellis
SS: Andrus
OF: Braun, Kemp, Markakis, Cruz, Lewis
Hitt Bench: Gaby Sanchez, Shoemaker

SP (main): Slowey, Scherzer, Rodriguez, Buehrle, Bush, Maholm
SP (non-main): Lannan, J.Lewis, K.Escobar
CL: Nathan (6th round), Capps (9th round)
S/U: Saito, Shields, Villanueva
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Hambowen

Re: First real NFBC draft

#2 Post by Hambowen »

Kinda surprised you were able to get Kemp, Braun, and Markakis in a draft.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

Hambowen wrote:Kinda surprised you were able to get Kemp, Braun, and Markakis in a draft.
so was I
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

maddog

#4 Post by maddog »

i would guess if it was a 250. league you would not have those 3,good hitting squad though.

viper
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by viper »

hard to say. My $250 league from the 5-hole started off Braun, Markakis, Youkilis. The earliest league I draft in the NFBC satellites always seems to do the best. I think I am less risk taking and end up with good playable players from the middle of the draft down. My worst are always those held after the main event. I do a lot of early research and am active on sites like this. It pays off in those early leagues. As the Main Event results start filtering out, whatever slight edge I may have is gone. This is probably why my last satellite draft was on March 17.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer