Should I trade Goldschmidt?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
FBP

Should I trade Goldschmidt?

#1 Post by FBP »

NL 5x5 keeper league. 10 teams with 25 players & 280 cap. Looking at this trade for next year effect. Even though I am now contending I have a good handle on 2013. Note that A=1st year of 3 year contract; B is 2nd. * indicates no more extensions available.

I received an offer of Stanton 20B*, Teheran $3A and Beachy $3A for my Goldschmidt 15A*, Mejia 3A and Koehler 5A. I am leery primarily due to trade rumors concerning Stanton--end up in AL? I am clearly giving up best player in Goldie. While the offered pitchers are attractive, I already have Medlen 3B, Smarjizda 1B, Corbin 2B, Cingrani 3A, Mujica 8A, Rosenthal 2A and Parnell 13A so a trade would leave me with disproportiante pitching keepers (9 pitchers of 12 slots). Would very much be interested in opinions.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Should I trade Goldschmidt?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

It appears your trading partner is trying to be preemptive here. If you are truly serious about trading Goldie, of what advantage is it to you to do this deal now? I would say you wait until the off season when there may be several more bidders in the game. I own Beachy as well - but four starts doesn't tell anyone any thing now - so he's willing to allow you to assume the risk on him. Those three names are barely enough to get Goldie by himself - you should not have to give up any more than that.

Then you have to consider the trustworthiness of his owner ...the real one. Allegedly he said the same thing to Johnson, Reyes and Buerhle last year ...then suddenly, hello Toronto. Also, you're not paying 20 units for Stanton ...you're paying 25 at least ...cause you're not letting him walk just a year after you traded Goldie to get him. And finally, Goldie has a much better contract than Stanton - 5 less units and a year more before option. I'd put this one in the circular file.

And why, may I ask, would you consider trading Goldie now ...if at all. What does Stanton bring you that you don't already have with him?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

FBP

#3 Post by FBP »

I was not shopping Goldie. I received an unsolicited offer. I was skeptical, hence the post to see if my skepticism was warranted.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

It's warranted... and it may be that your potential trading partner has mounds of respect for you ...he may also think you're a first class schmuck.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

agree with kid - no way I would trade Goldie NOW (at least not without a HUGE haul)

Frankly at $15 I have no idea why you would consider trading him but you were very right to be skeptical of where Stanton will play next year - What does Miami do with Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Marisnick? Only the first gets them a HUGE haul - and who is the team with more to push into that pot than any other team? Yes, the Texas Rangers .... side thought > boy would I love to own a healthy, well paid Stanton hitting in Arlington :mrgreen:

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:agree with kid - no way I would trade Goldie NOW (at least not without a HUGE haul)

Frankly at $15 I have no idea why you would consider trading him but you were very right to be skeptical of where Stanton will play next year - What does Miami do with Stanton, Yelish, Ozuna, Marisnick? Only the first gets them a HUGE haul - and who is the team with more to push into that pot than any other team? Yes, the Texas Rangers .... side thought > boy would I love to own a healthy, well paid Stanton hitting in Arlington :mrgreen:
Perry brings up another excellent point about the trade aspect ..go back to Sesame Street of yore ...which of these things is not like the other? it's Stanton - the only one who is first time AE in 2014.