Matt Kemp

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Matt Kemp

#1 Post by Black Sox »

Got offered M kemp in a trade. Just wondering what people think of his prospects for the rest of this year and if he's a good target in trade. Was encouraged by the fact he's been running and hit the 2 HR, but I'm also afraid I'm buying damaged goods who won't ever be right this year.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Matt Kemp

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Honestly think we need more info about his shoulder (just had a cortisone shot on Sunday) before it is anything more than speculation.

Well, it's all speculation - but even BIGGER speculation.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

xtrme98

#3 Post by xtrme98 »

Id look to trade for him if its a keeper league and you are already "out of it".
or
Id trade for him if you can dump someone you dont really want on your roster, but I certainly wouldnt trade for the REAL Matt Kemp because hes not that guy this year. Hes high risk now and I doubt high reward this season.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Black Sox wrote:Got offered M kemp in a trade. Just wondering what people think of his prospects for the rest of this year and if he's a good target in trade. Was encouraged by the fact he's been running and hit the 2 HR, but I'm also afraid I'm buying damaged goods who won't ever be right this year.
Unless you are getting him for practically nothing AND can reserve him until/if ready to play the next time you should pass - He is already back on the DL and there is no time frame ... yet

I wrote in the spring that he didn't look right and aside from an occasional game here and there still hasn't been "Matt Kemp" this year

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#5 Post by Black Sox »

Thanks for the responses. The trade was Hamels for Kemp so I passed on it.

Question - who do people feel are some good bets to rebound and have big 2nd half's. I'm stuck in 3/4 place and I'm going to need a big 2nd 1/2 if I want a chance at winning. It's a 10 team 5x5 mix non keeper. I'm about 9 pts out of first and I have 24 hitting and 37 pitching points. I already have BJ Upton benched hoping he gets hot.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Dayan Viciedo

captgus
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by captgus »

At what point do we start to scale back Kemp's expected at bats for 2014? I noticed the latest projections have him still at 500+ at bats.
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

captgus wrote:At what point do we start to scale back Kemp's expected at bats for 2014? I noticed the latest projections have him still at 500+ at bats.
You're free to scale them back whenever you want.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

captgus
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by captgus »

Fair enough, I'll take that as you're still fairly confident he's only going to miss a few weeks at best in April.

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Ack - sorry, that sounded too snarky. I answered from my phone on the road, my apologies.

Keep in mind there's already some built-in off-time. I have him for about 575 PA which is 75-100 fewer than when he was among the most durable players in the game. As of now, all we are pretty sure about is missing the Australia series. The target is still opening day in the States. If it doesn't appear he'll make that then I'll knock him down some.

captgus
Major League Veteran

#11 Post by captgus »

Thanks Todd and no need to apologize.

The General, Spring 1991