Starling Marte

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Wrigley

Starling Marte

#1 Post by Wrigley »

Any chance this kid hits at the top?

Could he swipe 40?

Captain Hook

Re: Starling Marte

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Wrigley wrote:Any chance this kid hits at the top?

Could he swipe 40?
Not clear at all how the Pirates will line up but 40 is beyond any reason for this year .... we currently have him for 10 HR and 23 SB

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Don't mean to sound snippy, but we really need to temper expectations.

4 guys stole 40 or more bases last season.

6 swiped 39 or more.

Marte's success rate is TERRIBLE -- about 67%. By the numbers, he hurts his team by running more than he helps.

To get 40, he'd need to attempt about 55-60.

You know how many guys even attempted 55?

ONE - Michael Bourn, exactly 55.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Wrigley

#4 Post by Wrigley »

Todd Zola wrote:Don't mean to sound snippy, but we really need to temper expectations.

4 guys stole 40 or more bases last season.

6 swiped 39 or more.

Marte's success rate is TERRIBLE -- about 67%. By the numbers, he hurts his team by running more than he helps.

To get 40, he'd need to attempt about 55-60.

You know how many guys even attempted 55?

ONE - Michael Bourn, exactly 55.
Don't worry Todd, I didn't take this as snippy.

Didn't realize that only 2 guys made it to 40

I think I'll hold Gardner then.

edit: I'm looking for a cheaper steals..... Gardner should be a lock for 40

Wrigley

#5 Post by Wrigley »

7 for 9

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

let's see him keep it up
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jkadagio

#7 Post by jkadagio »

As of last night, Marte is at 49/8/24/22 batting .283
"On pace" for: 103/16/50/46....

He has carved out a nice little place on my team at this point. Glad I didn't sell high, although that is also partially due to the fact I couldn't find anyone else who believd in him more than I did...

What do we peg his chances of hitting the 'on pace' for line above?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm getting closer to being a believer, his K% is still a little high (but better than I expected)

I have him at .259 with 7 HR and 22 SB the rest of the way -- but there's more upside than downside.