Beachy and Garza both dropped last night. Worth picking up?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Beachy and Garza both dropped last night. Worth picking up?

#1 Post by CT Wahoo »

Starting rotation is currently Strasburg, Lee, Peavy, Fister, Bailey and Cashner. Only have 2 DL spots that are currently being used for Crisp and Madson. I'm hoping Crisp comes off the DL around this time next week and I am planning on dropping Adam Dunn when he does (it would be either him or Jon Jay and Jay is playing much better lately).

I could drop Dunn for either Beachy or Garza now and then slot either one into the DL spot that opens up when Crisp is activated in a week. Plan would then be to trade or dump Cashner once the new pitcher is ready to come off the DL provided they're looking good.

To pick one up now would leave me temporarily with 11 fielders for 10 starting lineup spots, so I would have to take at least two additional zeroes next week and possibly more due to the lack of a bench player. Preferably, I could wait until Crisp is activated to pick either one up, but not sure either of those guys will stick around on the wire that long.

I guess my question is, are either of those guys enough of a potential upgrade over Cashner as a 6th starter to be worth losing some at-bats next week? In a perfect world, they'd still be there for me in a week, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. Very possible Dunn would give me zeroes on those days anyway.

I could also dump Madson off the DL right now, but he could be a solid addition to my bullpen and I would rather not unless hoping for him to be a soid source of saves (or holds) before the first of June is foolish.

Captain Hook

Re: Beachy and Garza both dropped last night. Worth picking up?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I would wait - I don't think it's right to play short handed to get either when they won't be active for at least several weeks.

And when you do get to that point - here are my feelings on both:
Garza - not interested in him at all and he won't be better than any of your pitchers
Beachy - I like Beach although not sure who the Braves would be dropping to get him into the rotation which might mean extended rehab starts - but I would like to see the reports once he actually pitches