First draft ever - What now?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

First draft ever - What now?

#1 Post by CT Wahoo »

My first time playing fantasy baseball. 14 team league. 6X6 format (BA, HR, RBI, R, SB (net), Total Bases -- W, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV, Holds). 17 starters, 6 bench, 2 DL. Must start 4SP, 2RP, 1 additional P (SP or RP), 1 at each IF position, 1 additional IF, 3 OF, 1 additional utility at any position. Drafted from the 7 spot.

SP - Strasburg, C. Lee, Fister, Peavy, H. Bailey, W. Rodriguez
RP - C Janssen, Perkins, McGee, Fujikawa

C - Mauer, Doumit
1B - Pujols, Cuddyer
2B - Altuve
3B - Seager
SS - Rollins, Rutledge
OF - Cespedes, Victorino, Crisp, De Aza, Pierre

I also drafted A Rod very late and stashed him on my DL.

Very interested to get opinions on my team and, specifically, is there a particular area where I could be in trouble? I read up more on the players I took at it seems like I have a lot of guys that hit early in the order, so am I too heavy on runs and stolen bases and too light on HR and RBI? Did I overdo it or underdo it at one or more positions? What type of additions/subtractions via trades (or waivers, though the pickings are rather slim) would you suggest to improve the roster?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to my first season (I hope).

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Two weeks in - still curious to get opinions

#2 Post by CT Wahoo »

A couple of changes/clarifications to what I posted originally:

1) The league is H2H and not roto. Each statistical category counts as a W or L for the week when compared against your H2H opponent.
2) There are 18 starting positions and 5 spots on the bench. There are 3 starting spots for RP as opposed to 2. Everything else I put in the original post is correct.

Through 2 weeks, I'm 14-10, but I have some guys that are banged up. I moved Fujikawa to the DL and picked up Sean Doolittle to try and increase my chances for some holds. I also dropped Juan Pierre and picked up Justin Maxwell to try and add a little more power while keeping some speed. Plus, Pierre just wasn't getting on base.

I could drop A Rod and move Cespedes to the DL to add someone else, but I know A Rod would get snatched up as there are owners with open DL slots. But, with Crisp also hurting, not sure how long I can hold out--especially if somebody else goes down.

Curious where you think my roster is weak and where I should look to adjust.

Captain Hook

Re: First draft ever - What now?

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

1) DL Cespedes and boot ARod (best case is he comes back nowhere close to his former self after the All Star break but there are chances he doesn't play at all this year - and could still get suspended)

2) McGee isn't likely to help you I would dump him for a reliever with upside.
Not likely Kelvin Herrera, KC is available but he should be at the top of your list
Same with Sergio Santos, TOR
I don't know who succeeds Boggs in STL if Motte can't come back but Rosenthal has the most upside

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Thanks for the response

#4 Post by CT Wahoo »

Perry,

Thanks for your input and also for referring this site over on footballguys. Given that it's a 14-team league, the waiver wire pickings are a bit slim, but with the short bench, there are some guys out there I think could help. Both Herrera and Santos are gone, but Rosenthal is available. Here are some of the players on waivers that either have at least some value in the player projections spreadsheet or are getting decent buzz:

SP: Jhoulys Chacin, Jason Hammel, Tommy Hanson, Brandon McCarthy, Jeremy Guthrie, James McDonald, Jake Westrook, Mark Buehrle, Erik Bedard

RP: Trevor Rosenthal, Brett Cecil, Junichi Tazawa, Joe Ortiz, Aaron Crow, Brad Ziegler, Sean Burnett, Ronald Belisario, Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain

Position players are much thinner--especially the IF. Best of the bunch are Colby Rasmus, Jon Jay, Denard Span, Emilio Bonifacio, Daniel Nava, Lucas Duda, Matt, Adams, Garrett Jones and Juan Pierre who I dropped earlier. Place where I could use the most help is probably 3B, but best options there are down to Descalso, Polanco, DeRosa and Gillaspie.

Dumping A Rod makes room to pick up one of those guys. You would recommend Rosenthal? I had hoped McGee might help me in the holds category, but if one of those others is better to have, I have no qualms about dumping him (though I would have to wait until the TB game is over). I would guess that Wandy, Doumit and Maxwell would probably be the next most droppable? Do you believe any of the free agents are an upgrade over them?

Thanks again.

Captain Hook

Re: Thanks for the response

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

CT Wahoo wrote:Perry,

Thanks for your input and also for referring this site over on footballguys. Given that it's a 14-team league, the waiver wire pickings are a bit slim, but with the short bench, there are some guys out there I think could help. Both Herrera and Santos are gone, but Rosenthal is available. Here are some of the players on waivers that either have at least some value in the player projections spreadsheet or are getting decent buzz:

SP: Jhoulys Chacin, Jason Hammel, Tommy Hanson, Brandon McCarthy, Jeremy Guthrie, James McDonald, Jake Westrook, Mark Buehrle, Erik Bedard

RP: Trevor Rosenthal, Brett Cecil, Junichi Tazawa, Joe Ortiz, Aaron Crow, Brad Ziegler, Sean Burnett, Ronald Belisario, Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain

Position players are much thinner--especially the IF. Best of the bunch are Colby Rasmus, Jon Jay, Denard Span, Emilio Bonifacio, Daniel Nava, Lucas Duda, Matt, Adams, Garrett Jones and Juan Pierre who I dropped earlier. Place where I could use the most help is probably 3B, but best options there are down to Descalso, Polanco, DeRosa and Gillaspie.

Dumping A Rod makes room to pick up one of those guys. You would recommend Rosenthal? I had hoped McGee might help me in the holds category, but if one of those others is better to have, I have no qualms about dumping him (though I would have to wait until the TB game is over). I would guess that Wandy, Doumit and Maxwell would probably be the next most droppable? Do you believe any of the free agents are an upgrade over them?

Thanks again.
Span and Jay should definitely not be available and I would say pick one up immediately to replace Cespedes but I wonder how you are in power vs speed - if the runs, average and steals will help your team pick one (I favor Jay slightly because he will hit more HR than Span)

Much tougher at third base and not a clear choice but I would take my chances on Gillaspie knowing it might be a short term fix and only if you are okay with a guy who won't play every day (not a straight platoon but looks like he will play against all RHP and some lefties but that depends on how Greene works out.

At least with pitching there are LOTS of good choices to help there - so depends on whether you are talking SP or RP.

Rosenthal will not only get holds but more strikeouts than most relievers BUT he doesn't have the job and hasn't pitched as well as we expect - a dark horse in St. Louis is surely available and will also get holds and strikeouts with good numbers and may find himself closing soon - Edward Mujica. Past the two Cardinals Crow is the only one I would recommend

Lots of good starters though - depends on whether you want safer or a shot at more Ws
Chacin has gotten off to a very good start (and it's still cold in COL so that will help for a while)
Westbrook doesn't strike out many hitters but plays on a better team and has two very good outings and I like a veteran who can get through rough patches
Lesser but decent AL options would be Hammel and Guthrie but neither are for the risk intolerant.

Hope that helps and glad to help answer more questions to refine your search

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Now need to drop somebody

#6 Post by CT Wahoo »

Following your advice, I dumped A Rod and Justin Maxwell and picked up Jay and Rosenthal. Unfortunately, Mujica had already been picked up a couple of days before I posted that message. Rosenthal has given me 3 holds since I picked him up, so that has worked out nicely. Jay, not so much, but hopefully he turns things around this week.

With Cespedes likely coming off the DL as early as Sunday (and Fujikawa probably within the following week), I will have to cut somebody loose to make room for each of them. Current roster is:

SP - Strasburg, Lee, Fister, Peavy, Bailey, Wandy Rodriguez
RP - Janssen, Perkins, Rosenthal, McGee, Doolittle, Fujikawa (DL)
Hitters - Mauer, Pujols, Altuve, Rollins, Seager, Cuddyer, Rutledge, Doumit, Crisp, Victorino, De Aza, Jay, Cespedes (DL)

I'm thinking that one of Doolittle or McGee can be dropped for sure since 6 relievers would be way too many (I'm currently leaning toward dropping Doolittle). I'm finding the second drop a little more difficult to determine (though somebody else may go on the DL in the meantime and make it a non-issue).

Also curious if there is anyone on the wire that is screaming out "hurry up and grab that guy you idiot." Top 5 available within each group:

SP - Jhoulys Chacin, Carlos Villanueva, Bronson Arroyo, Wade Davis, Tommy Hanson
RP - Ryan Madson (DL), Sean Marshall (DL), Al Albuquerque, Junichi Tazawa, Brandon Lyon
Hitters - Ben Revere, Adam Dunn, Lucas Duda, Matt Adams, Juan Francisco

With Seager finally hitting, I'm not seriously hurting at any one position at the moment, but always looking for opportunities to improve the roster. Revere getting dropped was interesting. Would you consider him an upgrade over Jay?

Captain Hook

Re: Now need to drop somebody

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

CT Wahoo wrote:Following your advice, I dumped A Rod and Justin Maxwell and picked up Jay and Rosenthal. Unfortunately, Mujica had already been picked up a couple of days before I posted that message. Rosenthal has given me 3 holds since I picked him up, so that has worked out nicely. Jay, not so much, but hopefully he turns things around this week.

With Cespedes likely coming off the DL as early as Sunday (and Fujikawa probably within the following week), I will have to cut somebody loose to make room for each of them. Current roster is:

SP - Strasburg, Lee, Fister, Peavy, Bailey, Wandy Rodriguez
RP - Janssen, Perkins, Rosenthal, McGee, Doolittle, Fujikawa (DL)
Hitters - Mauer, Pujols, Altuve, Rollins, Seager, Cuddyer, Rutledge, Doumit, Crisp, Victorino, De Aza, Jay, Cespedes (DL)

I'm thinking that one of Doolittle or McGee can be dropped for sure since 6 relievers would be way too many (I'm currently leaning toward dropping Doolittle). I'm finding the second drop a little more difficult to determine (though somebody else may go on the DL in the meantime and make it a non-issue).

Also curious if there is anyone on the wire that is screaming out "hurry up and grab that guy you idiot." Top 5 available within each group:

SP - Jhoulys Chacin, Carlos Villanueva, Bronson Arroyo, Wade Davis, Tommy Hanson
RP - Ryan Madson (DL), Sean Marshall (DL), Al Albuquerque, Junichi Tazawa, Brandon Lyon
Hitters - Ben Revere, Adam Dunn, Lucas Duda, Matt Adams, Juan Francisco

With Seager finally hitting, I'm not seriously hurting at any one position at the moment, but always looking for opportunities to improve the roster. Revere getting dropped was interesting. Would you consider him an upgrade over Jay?
1) Revere is NOT an upgrade over Jay
2) I don't see any of those hitters improving your team
3) Albuquerque is better than McGee who I would have already dropped and better than Rosenthal is pitching now
4) I like Wade Davis some but he is not better than your current SP
5) I would cut McGee, not Doolittle

and btw I never said cut Maxwell (although he IS a BA killer)

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Thanks for the quick reply

#8 Post by CT Wahoo »

I picked up Alburquerque and dropped McGee. And, you're completely right that you did not advise me to drop Maxwell, though with his injury from last night it's probably just as well that I did with McGee now having been dropped anyway. Do you anticipate that the naming of Valverde as closer changes Alburquerque's role in the bullpen or am I still in good shape with him as a go-to set up guy?

Also, last night someone dropped David Hernandez and that might have changed the landscape of the available RP free agents on the waiver wire. Thought I would mention it in case you think I should pursue him over Doolittle or Alburquerque (or Rosenthal).

Finally, I'm curious to get your recommendation as to how to priortize my roster drops for the guys that are coming off of the DL. At least one would be a RP (unless Fujikawa is now less valuable than Rosenthal/Alburquerque/Doolittle/Hernandez(maybe)) and possibly two. With a fairly short bench of hitters already, I would think the only candidates would be Doumit and Jay.

Thanks so much for your help.

Captain Hook

Re: Thanks for the quick reply

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

CT Wahoo wrote:I picked up Alburquerque and dropped McGee. And, you're completely right that you did not advise me to drop Maxwell, though with his injury from last night it's probably just as well that I did with McGee now having been dropped anyway. Do you anticipate that the naming of Valverde as closer changes Alburquerque's role in the bullpen or am I still in good shape with him as a go-to set up guy?

Also, last night someone dropped David Hernandez and that might have changed the landscape of the available RP free agents on the waiver wire. Thought I would mention it in case you think I should pursue him over Doolittle or Alburquerque (or Rosenthal).

Finally, I'm curious to get your recommendation as to how to priortize my roster drops for the guys that are coming off of the DL. At least one would be a RP (unless Fujikawa is now less valuable than Rosenthal/Alburquerque/Doolittle/Hernandez(maybe)) and possibly two. With a fairly short bench of hitters already, I would think the only candidates would be Doumit and Jay.

Thanks so much for your help.
Well AA should move back an inning so 7-8-9 should be Alburquerque/Benoit/Valverde

David Hernandez has been terrible for the last two weeks - you shouldn't ask Miley/Corbin owner about him

If you are only playing one catcher - what is Doumit's value? Is he as good as your other outfielders?

Jay has been terrible so far but eventually will find his stroke

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Interesting trade offer put toward me

#10 Post by CT Wahoo »

Another owner has offered me Ryan Zimmerman for Jake Peavy and Coco Crisp. On the surface, this looks pretty good to me as I would appear to have the SP and OF depth to withstand those departures (plus, Crisp and Peavy are possible injury risks in their own right). I would think Zimm would be a nice upgrade over Seager despite Zimm's injury and Seager's recent hot streak. He's not asking for Seager in return, so I could still play him at the INF or UTL position if he stays hot. Since he's only on the 15-day DL, I haven't been too concerned about Zimmerman's injury. But, is that a mistake?

Curious to get other's opinions as to whether I should pull the trigger on this deal.

Also, the wheel in the RP ranks keeps turning. I passed on Hernandez and the owner that dropped him picked him back up and dropped Vinnie Pestano instead. I looked at the numbers and think Pestano might actually be the better pitcher of the two and might be worth swapping out for Doolittle. Is that nuts?

Finally, I have settled on dropping Doumit when Cespedes comes off the DL. Thanks again for the input there.

Captain Hook

Re: Interesting trade offer put toward me

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

CT Wahoo wrote:Another owner has offered me Ryan Zimmerman for Jake Peavy and Coco Crisp. On the surface, this looks pretty good to me as I would appear to have the SP and OF depth to withstand those departures (plus, Crisp and Peavy are possible injury risks in their own right). I would think Zimm would be a nice upgrade over Seager despite Zimm's injury and Seager's recent hot streak. He's not asking for Seager in return, so I could still play him at the INF or UTL position if he stays hot. Since he's only on the 15-day DL, I haven't been too concerned about Zimmerman's injury. But, is that a mistake?

Curious to get other's opinions as to whether I should pull the trigger on this deal.

Also, the wheel in the RP ranks keeps turning. I passed on Hernandez and the owner that dropped him picked him back up and dropped Vinnie Pestano instead. I looked at the numbers and think Pestano might actually be the better pitcher of the two and might be worth swapping out for Doolittle. Is that nuts?

Finally, I have settled on dropping Doumit when Cespedes comes off the DL. Thanks again for the input there.
I would NOT make that trade - we have no idea how soon Zimmerman will return, he will not be up to speed and there is also the chance of reoccurence or a more serious injury. Yes he will occasionally have weeks with great production but most of the time is not the elite 3B he used to be (or was perceived to be)

I don't necessarily think Pestano is superior to Doolittle BUT I think there is a great chance that the Indians trade Chris Perez than there is Oakland trading Grant Balfour especially given the presumed playoff possibilities for both teams. So yes that seems to be a good switch