NFBC Satellite Team

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Weir
High-A

NFBC Satellite Team

#1 Post by Weir »

I just completed a 15 team NFBC satellite today and was looking for some insight on my team. I know catcher is definitely a weakness but I think this is a pretty balanced team (as long as nothing comes from Biogenesis). Any glaring holes that I should try and target during FAAB?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

C- Martin, Hundley/Suzuki
1B- Goldschmidt
2B- Pedroia
SS- Rutledge
3B- A Ramirez
CI- I Davis
MI- A Escobar
OF- Braun, A Jackson, Melky Cabrera, Dirks, Rasmus
UT- Infante/ Morrison (when healthy)

P- Wainwright, J Zimmerman, Minor, A Sanchez, Cahill, Hammel, Masterson
RP- R Soriano, G Holland, Santos

Bench Hitters- G Parra, Hundley/Suzuki, Morrison
Bench Pitters- Kendrick, Porcello, Kazmir

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC Satellite Team

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

With only 7 reserves and no DL, it will be tough to carry a backup catcher and a set up guy primarily hoping he gets saves. I'd lose a catcher and pick up a hitter to better help take advantage of the Friday transaction rule.

If Santos is closing, fine. But if he's not, I would prefer a more highly skilled MR to use during bad matchups.

Of course, he's also the first to go when injuries set in.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Weir wrote:I just completed a 15 team NFBC satellite today and was looking for some insight on my team. I know catcher is definitely a weakness but I think this is a pretty balanced team (as long as nothing comes from Biogenesis). Any glaring holes that I should try and target during FAAB?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

C- Martin, Hundley/Suzuki
1B- Goldschmidt
2B- Pedroia
SS- Rutledge
3B- A Ramirez
CI- I Davis
MI- A Escobar
OF- Braun, A Jackson, Melky Cabrera, Dirks, Rasmus
UT- Infante/ Morrison (when healthy)

P- Wainwright, J Zimmerman, Minor, A Sanchez, Cahill, Hammel, Masterson
RP- R Soriano, G Holland, Santos

Bench Hitters- G Parra, Hundley/Suzuki, Morrison
Bench Pitters- Kendrick, Porcello, Kazmir
1) dump Suzuki who will continue to lose time as Ramos gets stronger
2) I understand your feeling you need a C for when Hundley loses time to Grandal - which best case scenario is very late May, early June so the ideal backup for Hundley is .... Grandal but you probably can't get him until activated
3) WTH would you play Infante at UT over Parra?
4) Get a hitter in first FAAB run to play UT, and
5) you can get another hitter IF Kazmir doesn't make the Indians roster
6) I don't mind keeping Santos, it's a hell of a lot less expensive than trying to FAAB a possible closer BUT as Todd says you do have essentially two dead roster spots until those are resolved

Weir
High-A

#4 Post by Weir »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. With Cody Ross in doubt for opening day I will plan on moving Parra to UT. Would you consider guys like Mike Carp, james loney, or nate schierholtz as solid targets on waivers? Those are the only guys I see who should get consistent at bats or are on the right side of a platoon? If so, who would be your preference?

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Weir wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. With Cody Ross in doubt for opening day I will plan on moving Parra to UT. Would you consider guys like Mike Carp, james loney, or nate schierholtz as solid targets on waivers? Those are the only guys I see who should get consistent at bats or are on the right side of a platoon? If so, who would be your preference?
Despite background and projections and minor league stats, Loney has never hit enough in the major leagues to be worth your time. Carp may get some early AB depending on Ortiz' status but I would choose Schierholtz
(that said I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better guy overlooked or who might win a job ... When is your fist FAAB run?)

Weir
High-A

#6 Post by Weir »

Thanks Perry. Our first FAAB run is Sunday, March 31st. Some other guys I noticed are Luke Scott, Gregor Blanco/Andres Torres, Juan Francisco, Jose Tabata and Craig Gentry

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

I do like Juan Francisco but he will only be of value to ATL and thus our teams if they stick to a platoon with those two - and that could work out well if you can move him in and out for M-TH or F-Su periods depending on matchups.

Carp is a nice alternative especially now that it looks like Ortiz may be delayed