Markakis or Kemp

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Markakis or Kemp

#1 Post by viper »

In almost every NFBC Mock draft I've been in, this decision comes up towards the end of round two [think pick 25-ish]. MB has Kemp slightly higher with the difference totally in the SB category as Markakis projects higher in all other categories. Is this pretty much a preference choice or is there any semi-compelling reason to select one over the other?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

50 Desert Eagles

Re: Markakis or Kemp

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Not sure the logic, but I had the same decision and took Markakis....no reasoning I guess....I was actually hoping Kemp would slip past everyone till my next round.....He actually made it to pick 48 in my 20 team 7x7 draft yesterday...I had pick 51 and was drooling waiting on him, but then someone took Kemp, then Ellsbury, so I took Rios.......

cwk1963

#3 Post by cwk1963 »

If I was faced with this decision, I'd take Markakis. I think that SB are more subject to fluctuation vs projections than other categories.

Tig

#4 Post by Tig »

wow, 25-ish for those 2, eh!

so, what you're saying here, is that in my 20 teamer, I shouldnt get my hopes up to start with (6) Sizemore, (35) Markakis, (46) Kemp.

obviously, shooting for the moon to have that happen, but I wouldnt be upset to get Brian Roberts & Alexei Ramirez at those spots, if both are gone.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

those four are all between 28 & 39 on the NFBC ADP I have. By that you will get just one of them.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Tig

#6 Post by Tig »

that doesnt bode well, as more than likely, it'll mean I wont get any of them.

My league-mates have learned over the years not to take pitching early. I expect Lincecum & Johan to be taken in the 2nd rd, possibly CC as well, then not another taken til the 4th round.

50 Desert Eagles

#7 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Hey Tig, if that is the case, Round 3...if you pick early and there is 10 or so of the same talent, take a P and start a trend that might net you a better pick Round 4.....

viper
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by viper »

hope that the lemmings all march over the cliffs

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Mickey4081

#9 Post by Mickey4081 »

I think it depends how your first 2 to 3 picks go. If your team is needing steals badly you should go with Kemp over Markakis. I think Kemp can match Markakis across the board and pile on another 15 to 20 steals more than Markakis. I might go with Kemp regardless as he's already shown the ability to steal 35 bases with 20+ homer pop.

Tig

#10 Post by Tig »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Hey Tig, if that is the case, Round 3...if you pick early and there is 10 or so of the same talent, take a P and start a trend that might net you a better pick Round 4.....
unfortunately, this is the 7th year of the league and trends arent something that usually happens. I actually threw a curve last year and took Johan at #11.

flavi

#11 Post by flavi »

I'm a believer in the proven guy, so Markakis this year. But probably Kemp next year, if he puts up an 09 line like 08's. I also think that Baltimore has a better lineup (whether the Dodgers get Manny or not) and a better park to hit in.

viper
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by viper »

but those things ought to be factored into a player's projections. Do you really want to double count that stuff. The only thing that could change projections would be a Manny addition in LA and I would guess that would be favorable to most not named Pierre.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer