My first NFBC Online Championship team - thoughts?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
southpaw

My first NFBC Online Championship team - thoughts?

#1 Post by southpaw »

First one of the season in the 12 team arena.
I had a gameplan going in to wait a bit on pitching and not reach for closers. In other words, don't freak out when the inevitable run happens.

So looking for feedback - good or bad. Just lay it on me.
Here's how my roster turned out drafting from the 7 spot:

C: Molina (7), Iannetta (27)
CI: Pujols (1), Encarnacion (3), I Davis (11), T Frazier (14), Gyorko (19)
MI: Reyes (2), Hill (5), Weeks (10), Cozart (30)
OF: Holliday (4), Trumbo (9), Pagan (16), Stubbs (21), Saunders (24), M Carpenter (28)

SP: Wainwright (6), Gallardo (8), Haren (12), Niese (15), Ryu (18), Cashner (20), P Hughes (23), W Davis (26), Pettitte (29)
RP: Putz (13), A Reed (17), Veras (22), Fujikawa (25)

My initial thoughts are I like my power but a little light on speed. I don't mind that as SB's are typically the easiest to find on waivers. I think I have enough built in BA with my first several bats to offset guys like Trumbo, Stubbs and Weeks. Worried a bit about SP as I took some risks with Ryu and Cashner. I LOVE Cashner if he can get and stay healthy. Hughes dropped on the news of his injury but I think he'll be okay, even if he starts the year on the DL, I'll hold him. Speculated on Fujikawa. I think he eventually becomes the closer but not sure I can hold him long enough to reap the benefits. We'll see how the injuries go.
So now I'm rethinking the "waiting a bit on SP" strategy for next time.

Thoughts? Comments?

mbendar
Major League Veteran

Re: My first NFBC Online Championship team - thoughts?

#2 Post by mbendar »

I think the analysis of your team is pretty spot on, as I would be worried about the pitching and the speed. The good thing is that both of those areas are plentiful in a 12 teamer, so if it does come to be true you should be able to recover if you pick up the right guys in FAAB.

Not sure if this is good or bad :D , but have a lot of the same guys in my online championship team, from essentially the same spot (8th)

Same guys, with round in ()

Pujols (1), Holliday (5), Molina (8), IDavis (11), Reed (14), Stubbs (23), WDavis (29)

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

mbendar wrote:I think the analysis of your team is pretty spot on, as I would be worried about the pitching and the speed. The good thing is that both of those areas are plentiful in a 12 teamer, so if it does come to be true you should be able to recover if you pick up the right guys in FAAB.

Not sure if this is good or bad :D , but have a lot of the same guys in my online championship team, from essentially the same spot (8th)

Same guys, with round in ()

Pujols (1), Holliday (5), Molina (8), IDavis (11), Reed (14), Stubbs (23), WDavis (29)
Thanks Mark.
Yeah, we'll have to see whether that's a good or bad thing. Who did you take in rounds 2-4?

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mbendar »

Kershaw, Kinsler, Hamels

Polka

#5 Post by Polka »

I really like this team, like you said steals are a waiver grab when you draft light, Tons of Bombs coming from this squad in my corrective eyes! Really good balance.

southpaw

#6 Post by southpaw »

Did another one last night. In my opinion, I think I did a better job. A little more balance. Perhaps a bit short on speed again but that's not very hard to rectify throughout the season.
Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

From the 3 hole...

C: Wieters (6), J Montero (10)
CI: Prado (9), LaRoche (13), Frazier (16), Machado (17), Smoak (27)
MI: Zobrist (5), Rutledge (14), A Ramirez (19)
OF: Trout (1), Hamilton (2), Cespedes (3), Granderson (8), Ludwick (23), Colvin (26), L Martin (30)

SP: Cain (4), Sabathia (7), Lincecum (12), Niese (15), Fiers (21), Harrison (22), Gee (24), Peralta (25), Corbin (29)
RP: Romo (11), Parnell (18), Fujikawa (20), Madson (28)

Lincy might make or break this team. If I can just get something around a 4 ERA and close to 200 K's, I'll be fine. Really like the offense. Have a lot of positional flexibility with Prado, Zobrist, Frazier etc. I'll probably move Prado to OF in the beginning while Grandy is out. I like the way Smoak is mashing in the spring and can see using him often at U if it transcends to the regular season. Took Leonys in round 30 for some late speed. Took a shot at Madson late in the game. In round 28, even if he's out for an extended period at the start of the season, I don't lose much.