Money Draft Sunday!

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
50 Desert Eagles

Money Draft Sunday!

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Ok, here's the scoop.....7x7 Mixed, 20 team league, $$ on the line. Not Rookie players either, most are well seasoned. I have pick 11th. Who do I take? Here is the 7x7 formatting.
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Stat Categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

From a Kewl Custom 7x7 form that someone got for me(THANKS AGAIN) According to my list here is options for picks 6-20.
I know I WILL NOT take a pitcher and I am fairly sure that the top four below won't be there by 11th....so WHO do I pick? I think my first pick is critical....my next will be 31st, so the BIG BIG talent will be gone. My thought is Markakis (if he makes it) if not, its though for me to decide......REALLY tough....THoughts? Comments? Bailout cash?

Cabrera, Miguel
Sizemore, Grady
Braun, Ryan
Teixeira, Mark
Markakis, Nick
Santana, Johan
Kemp, Matthew
Berkman, Lance
Upton, B.J.
Sabathia, C.C.
Holliday, Matt
Fielder, Prince
Lee, Carlos
Rios, Alex

cwk1963

Re: Money Draft Sunday!

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

I'd go with either Kemp or Lee in that order.

50 Desert Eagles

#3 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

ANother question....in Everyones unbiased opinon, what round should I start taking pitchers? My usual is 6-7 depending on who is out there bat wise......Since its a seasoned league, I am going in figuring there won't be some of the BIG names left.

#4 Post by Guest »

If you don't mind I'll answer both questions with more of a strategic approach:

1. This is a very deep league in terms of teams but shallow in terms of players. Put another way, in a normal 15 teamer you'd start 6 IF per team (the four bases plus MI/CO), so 90 for 30 MLB teams (3/team). You're drafting 4 for 20 teams, or 80. OF you'd normally do 15 *5 or 75, in this league 20*3 or 60. Obviously you have the extra UT spot so somewhere you have to allocate an extra 20 players but in no way is this deeper than a 15 teamer. The big difference is you have to wait a little longer between picks. I realize the rest of your league is seasoned, but don't get too caught up in the depth here.

2. The pitching cats scream MR and CL. They cover L, SV, HLD, ERA, RAT. Now, I don't know your league well, but I would suggest SP should go at a discount with rules like this. (You don't specify H2H or Roto) Given a 20 team league, the one thing that is at a real premium is closers, and as such I'd be trying to get 2 or 3 of them, especially at least one who's very good. A top 5 type closer. Your risk is that if a closer run starts right after you pick say in the 4th or 5th round, you're waiting potentially 20 picks, somewhat helpless to act. Looks like you have picks 11/30/51/70/91/110 - I think if you see closer movement in the 50-70 range you should be prepared to take one at 70 - if not, I'd take one at 91 unless all the top guys are gone. But I would think you want 2 top closers within your top 10 picks. And then you fill in with high skilled, low ERA/WHIP middle relievers to grab HLD/ERA/WHIP plus the benefit of L.

3. You dont say what the transaction rules are here, but if you have daily transactions, you should try and get a hold in middle rounds of SP on good teams without huge reputations - Lowe, Wang, Pettite, guys like that - you might be able to bully enough starts to be competitive here. However without knowing that, I'm a little handcuffed.

4. I'd take the draft list and make a line under the last guy at each position you'd want, and then try and draft as aggressively as possible to make sure you get someone you like at every position. The ones where you like more guys, you can wait on. If you only like 5 SS and you like 13 2B, best to grab a SS.

The best advice I can give you beyond the above is that you are waiting 20 picks between yours - do not get cute trying to steal players. They will not last to you. In fact they will tease you like a college freshman girl at a frat party by lasting until 2 picks before yours, but they will go before you go again. Should you get so lucky as to have it work out, do not suppose it a matter of skill but lucking out. Take the guy you want when he's available.

5. In a league that rewards H, AVG, OBP all separately, there should be a real pool of players who have tremendous value that don't in traditional leagues - Im thinking a 1986 Wade Boggs would have been worth a fortune. I'd take your ranking sheet and compare it to a traditional list say provided in a magazine or on ESPN or CBS or something and circle those guys - I don't know who they are without looking, but 43% of your hitting cats can be dominated by guys who do nothing but walk and hit singles. Huge advantage to you if you can acquire some of them and then use other picks to take guys like Cust or Giambi who are only good for HR/RBI/OBP but really help there.

6. Get a copy of last years draft somehow and find out if your league is already doing anything I listed above, if you can get to it soon and post your findings (don't post the whole draft, just what you see - where CL are taken, top MR, etc) we can construct something even more detailed.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

One trapa lot of players fall into is focusing for a week on their first pick and overthinking that for a week.

Focus on your overall gameplan - focus on the fact that you have hits -obp and avg all as categories. don't worry too much about the first 3-4 rounds cause you take the best player available and hope for the best

I have played in a similar 20 team league (but it was 5X5)
Here's some draft things i would expect you to see if I had to guess these are just estimates but usally hold true -
I would expect 3-5 pitchers to come off the board in rounds 1-3 and then in rounds 4-5-6 you'll probably see 15-20 of the top pitchers drop. by round 10 all of the top closers will be gone (anyone who is sure to be a closer will be gone by pick 110) only ones left will be those fighting for a job.

just a guesstimate but it usually holds true.

50 Desert Eagles

#6 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Thanks for the input....one big difference though is SP wont go THAT fast since it's a 7x7 thus closer HEAVY draft....now if these were rookie players, sure I would except it, but I expect RP's to disappear ahead of A LOT of SP....we will see....draft is in 24 hours...anymore help would be appreciated!!!