Ryan C's first Draft Champions draft

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
deansdaddy

Ryan C's first Draft Champions draft

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

I participated in my first Draft Champions (Slow) draft of the year over at the NFBC a few weeks back. It was a spirited group of veteran owners, with a couple MB regulars mixed in with some savvy NFBC veterans as well. It also wasn't your normal slow draft, as we tore through this puppy in about a week. Here is the team I drafted.

1.06 - Albert Pujols
2.10 - Dustin Pedroia
3.06 - Curtis Granderson
4.10 - Jered Weaver
5.06 - Yadier Molina
6.10 - Jordan Zimmerman
7.06 - Michael Bourn
8.10 - Kyle Seager
9.06 - Carlos Gomez
10.10- Josh Johnson
11.06- Grant Balfour
12.10- Erik Aybar
13.06- Jason Grilli
14.10- Jon Niese
15.06- Jon Broxton
16.10- Cameron Maybin
17.06- Justin Maxwell
18.10- JP Arencibia
19.06- Jedd Gyorko
20.10- Wei-Yin Chen
21.06- Jeff Keppinger
22.10- Kelly Johnson
23.06- Brett Wallace
24.10- Justin Masterson
25.06- Felix Doubront
26.10- Tyler Skaggs
27.06- Dominic Brown
28.10- Nate Schierholz
29.06- Vance Worley
30.10- Chris Parmalee
31.06- DiDi Gregorius
32.10- Scott Sizemore
33.06- Jhoulys Chacin
34.10- Seth Smith
35.06- Chris Stewart
36.10- Mat Gamel
37.06- Zack Cox
38.10- Pedro Strop
39.06- Brad Peacock
40.10- Joe Saunders
41.06- AJ Ramos
42.10- Carlos Carrasco
43.06- Felipe Paulino
44.10- Josh Thole
45.06- J.J. Hoover
46.10- A.J. Pollock
47.06- Mike Baxter
48.10- Tony Cruz
49.06- Andres Torres
50.10- Carlos Peguro

deansdaddy

Re: Ryan C's first Draft Champions draft

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

So those are the picks - let's see how it shakes out:

C - Y Molina (Cruz), Arencibia (Thole) and C Stewart

1B - Albert Pujols (Gamel)
3B - Kyle Seager (S Sizemore, Z Cox)
CI - Brett Wallace (J Gyorko, C Parmalee)

2B - Dustin Pedroia (Gyorko again)
SS - Erik Aybar (Gregorius)
MI - Kelly Johnson

OF- Curtis Granderson, Michael Bourn, Carlos Gomez, Cameron Maybin, Justin Maxwell
( Dom Brown, N Scheirholz, S Smith, AJ Pollock, M Baxter, A Torres, C Peguro)
UT- Jeff Keppinger (1b/2b/3b coverage)

SP- J Weaver, J Zimmerman, Josh Johnson, Jon Niese, Wei-Yin Chen, Justin Masterson, Felix Doubront, T Skaggs, V Worley, J Chacin, B Peacock, J Saunders, C Carrasco, F Paulino,

RP- Grant Balfour, Jason Grilli, Jon Broxton, Pedro Strop, AJ Ramos, JJ Hoover

I admit up front - I gave away a few of my final picks as I had to go on auto. Didn't hit on any P's late - and landed a few more OF than I would like. Still I like my squad. Lots of flexibility, good core on offense. My one regret was that I am a little light on power. I'll probably hit another one of these later in the year - but I think this team will keep me in the mix at the very least in my league if not the overall.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I like the team as a whole .... BUT I don't think you have enough pitchers > it's a long season and there are injuries and demotions as well as disppointments.

In Draft/Hold league (ie NO roster changes for the year) I think you should have HALF of your roster spots filled by pitchers.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

I don't disagree completely, but 20 worked well for me last year and it was actually injuries to my position players (Cuddyer and Tex) that kept me from 1st place in the last month. But I will admit I would trade Torres and Peguro for a couple innings eaters who went late in this draft.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by mbendar »

Ryan,
This was a really fun draft, and there is no question it was great prep for a Main Event or other regular season league, as not much was missed by anyone. I admit to entering these drafts without having all of my prep done and I am not up to speed on minor leagues, so I usually struggle with picks from the late 30's til the end.

Niese and Masterson were two of your picks I had queued up that you took from me. We'll see if Detwiler winds up being a better pick than Masterson - our discussion in the chat room was enough for Dan to make it a topic of his daily "stuff".

I won't be in NY this year due to the holidays and am going to Vegas 1st weekend. Since I won't be able to see the best facilitator in NY live and in person, it was nice drafting in a league with you.

Mark

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

I actually will not be part of the NFBC weekend for the first time in 5 years. I too will be away that weekend - so no drafts for me this year. I'll miss seeing all the NY gang this year as well.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

mbendar wrote:Ryan,
This was a really fun draft, and there is no question it was great prep for a Main Event or other regular season league, as not much was missed by anyone. I admit to entering these drafts without having all of my prep done and I am not up to speed on minor leagues, so I usually struggle with picks from the late 30's til the end.

Niese and Masterson were two of your picks I had queued up that you took from me. We'll see if Detwiler winds up being a better pick than Masterson - our discussion in the chat room was enough for Dan to make it a topic of his daily "stuff".

I won't be in NY this year due to the holidays and am going to Vegas 1st weekend. Since I won't be able to see the best facilitator in NY live and in person, it was nice drafting in a league with you.

Mark
...BUT you will be able to see the best facilitator in Las Vegas live and in person ;)

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by mbendar »

Perry,
In addition to the challenge and fun the drafts and auctions will be, I'm looking forward just as much to meeting all of the people I've never had the chance to meet drafting in NY the last 3 years, including yourself. See you next month.

Mark

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

I will definitely be there Mark and look forward to meeting you too

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Guess I'll have to settle for being the second best facilitator in Vegas.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord