PIT CRVC baselines

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
captgus
Major League Veteran

PIT CRVC baselines

#1 Post by captgus »

I feel sort of silly asking this after all these years but here goes, Todd would you mind explaining to me what drives these numbers? I suppose your response may answer my next question but in what scenario would someone want to deviate from the default values?
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: PIT CRVC baselines

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

In theory, they are supposed to be the ratios of the last place team in your league.

Since there is no way of knowing this for every league, I empirically developed a means of a best guess estimate based on the composition of your player pool, which I do know for each league based on the parameters you set. Changing them to have the values best mimic how your league treats the pitching market is perfectly reasonable.

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

Thank you!
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#4 Post by Black Sox »

Todd,

Any advantage to maybe in putting the ratios of let's say the 6th place team of a 12 team league. The thinking being that it would push up the values a little more of upper level pitchers or is this just not needed? Thinking that if the goal is aprox 3rd place in each catagory that players below 6th place start to do more harm than good in theory. Hope I'm explaining good enough.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

This is all empirical so you can do whatever you want. Keep in mind all categories are then subject to replacement so the higher the baseline the fewer positive conversions there are thus replacement is usually negative which really skews the calculations. At the end of the day this is why I think last place is best - it gives best balance of replacement with respect to pool
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord