Mike Napoli a Red Sox

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Mike Napoli a Red Sox

#1 Post by aburt19 »

The last that I heard was that Boston had some concerns with Napoli's physical, although it's unknown what they were
worried about.

MLB.com still lists him as a free agent.

Have I missed something here or are things still in limbo?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Napoli a Red Sox

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Technically still in limbo
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#3 Post by Black Sox »

I belive it's Ken Rosenthal is reporting it's an issue with his hip. He said it's what caused Seattle & Texas to back away. They are attempting to re work the contract since the Red Sox don't belive in insurance policies and instead focus on writing launguage into the contract that protects the team if he misses time due to the known issue. Rosenthal reported the deal may fall thru because of this. When this happened with JD Drew it took him 52 days from when it was first announced he signed a deal till when he actually signed with the team.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

For what it is worth from RotoWorld;
Jen Royle of SB Nation Boston reports that the Red Sox are "going after" free agent Adam LaRoche.
That would indicate that club officials are considering walking away from the three-year contract that they agreed to earlier this winter with Mike Napoli. LaRoche, 33, hit .271/.343/.510 with 33 home runs and 100 RBI in 2012 for the Nationals while earning Gold Glove honors for his defense at first base. The Nats want him back but aren't willing to go beyond two guaranteed years. Dec 27 - 11:06 AM
Source: Jen Royle on Twitter
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

aburt19
Major League Elite

#5 Post by aburt19 »

The longer that this negotiation over his contract goes, the more I wonder if either side is gaining
an advantage by the delay. Napoli has to be anxious to know that he has a job. But the Red Sox
have to be anxious to have the hole at first base that they have filled. If LaRoche signs with Washington,
then I think the Red Sox, with their fallback position gone, may feel a little more urgency to get the deal
done. I can't believe that the Red Sox will want to go with their best in-house option at first base.

On another entirely unrelated matter, Soriano has to be regretting the fact that he turned down the
$14 million option with the Yankees and the $13.3 million qualifying offer that the Yankees made so that
they would receive a draft pick for compensation. He'll ultimately get a contract, but I'd be surprised if
it comes close to $14 million, unless a contender has an injury to their closer. Even Detroit doesn't seem
to be pushing hard to sign him and their closer situation is shaky.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

If LaRoche signs with the Nats, then Morse becomes Plan C (or is that D?)

I could also see Kubel and ask him to buy a 1B mitt and bring them the receipt.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#7 Post by aburt19 »

Napoli goes from a three year contract worth $39 mil to a one year contract for $5 mil.
That hip must really be bad because he really went down in value of the contract and
couldn't get more money elsewhere.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

5 MIL base -- there are bonuses if he stays off the DL, could be 13 MIL

whammer
Major League Regular

#9 Post by whammer »

Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

Assuming he gets 550, where would he rank among AL 1B's - better option Morales? Mourneau? Lind?

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

whammer wrote:Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

Assuming he gets 550, where would he rank among AL 1B's - better option Morales? Mourneau? Lind?
Well I will let Todd do the numbers - I think an update is in progress (although he has to travel for FSTA conference so may be a delay)

Personally I don't think Napoli sniffs 500 - the physical problems are still there.
BUT Fenway should be a very good park for him to hit in.
Assuming he can stay healthy I think he will out produce Morneau and Lind
Morales v Napoli will be interesting because I think Kendrys will see more PA/AB but given Napoli's C eligibility he will go several rounds earlier for mixed league drafts and for a higher price in AL formats again assuming he looks healthy in spring training

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

It's my understanding that the concern is more long term than short term for Napoli, and I think the fact he accepted a base of $5MIL with escalations to $13MIL suggest he feels he can stay on the field, so right now he's getting about 560 PA, 480 AB.

This is of course subject to change depending on what happens this spring.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#12 Post by daweasle »

whammer wrote:Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

The thing is - it doesn't matter where he ranks compared to other first baseman.
It matters where he ranks compared to other catchers where he still qualifies for 2013.
I THINK - he could be top 2-3 catcher, ahead of everyone but buster posey and ?? whatever random breakout/rebound guy (my prediction - victor Martinez)

funny thing is though - he only has one monster season (2011) and then a bunch of solid but never great seasons. he usually bats 240 - with 20 HR now u give him an extra 100 ABs maybe he can be counted on FOR 27-29 HR
but if he hits 28 HR and bats 240 - has he really helped you much?

guess it depends on his other counting stats and whether you plugged him in at catcher or somewhere else

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Easy now -- there is no one size fits all rule book. Some leagues only allow eligibility where the player is expected to play the upcoming season.

and, he usually hits .260 (career average .261)