Things I don't get - 2013

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Things I don't get - 2013

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I've read much of what has been posted on various sites about the state of the DBack OF as of today. Rumors abound about trading Justin Upton or Jason Kubel - but surprisingly not both. The Cody Ross signing was a HUGE boner, but what's done is done. Now here's what I don't get. Right now they want Eaton in center and Cody Ross will slide over to a corner - leaving the other OF slot to either Kubel or Upton - depending on who stays and who goes. What exactly do the DBacks have against Gerado Parra? Is he going to be made into another Collin Cowgill and shipped off somewhere before getting a chance to show what he can do? Why is Eaton on such a fast track when Parra hasn't been given a true shot to see what he brings to the table (BTW - Eaton's 24, Parra 25)?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

Re: Things I don't get - 2013

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I've read much of what has been posted on various sites about the state of the DBack OF as of today. Rumors abound about trading Justin Upton or Jason Kubel - but surprisingly not both. The Cody Ross signing was a HUGE boner, but what's done is done. Now here's what I don't get. Right now they want Eaton in center and Cody Ross will slide over to a corner - leaving the other OF slot to either Kubel or Upton - depending on who stays and who goes. What exactly do the DBacks have against Gerado Parra? Is he going to be made into another Collin Cowgill and shipped off somewhere before getting a chance to show what he can do? Why is Eaton on such a fast track when Parra hasn't been given a true shot to see what he brings to the table (BTW - Eaton's 24, Parra 25)?
Pretty sure that if they trade Kubel (which is far more likely) then they will platoon Ross and Parra in LF, with Eaton in CF and Upton in RF

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

My take is Upton is gone and Ross/Kubel will platoon in left with Parra in right and don't forget about AJ Pollack. Then Ross picks up more AB all over.

The problem with Ross is he's best used as the RHB of a platoon but is getting paid for more than 250-300 AB.

That said, per Joe Sheehan, add up Ross vs. LHP and Kubel vs RHP and you have a better hitter than Matt Holliday for less total money.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I understand what the both of you are saying. You both make salient points from the baseball perspective. However, I can't buy a Ross platoon with anybody based on 3 years and 26 mil. Nobody gets platoon time for those types of numbers, whether they deserve the PT or not. Kubel got 500 ABs for 141 games and he only had 15 mil on the line. Parra becomes AE for the first time this year. Unless Ross shits the bed for a prolonged period of time (and that's read ASB), I see Parra on the outside looking in ...unless Eaton shows he can't hack it. The point being, Parra gets jumped over again for no apparent good reason.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, regardless of trades, I'm not 100% sold on Eaton breaking camp.

With respect to Parra, they're already giving up some hitting at SS and 3B (sorry Chris Johnson) and while Hill + Montero make up for a little, I suspect they want a little more pop from the OF, especially at home.

If they were really creative, it would't be a L/R platoon, but a home/road platoon using Parra in the bigger parks.

Presently, projecting Arizona OF, Seattle 1B/DH/OF, Minnesota OF and Yankee catchers are all nightmares.

I remember the good old days when we rolled out projections on Feb 15....
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I understand ...I'm old enough to remember Duke Carmel AND Don Bosch and the like ....guys who were virtually handed jobs out of spring training with no regard to them having actually earned them. I see the point about the left side of the IF - I'm just wondering why all of these pundits think Eaton has something that Parra doesn't and why they think Eaton should be handed the job over Parra. We know Parra can play defense - just one more example of a front office screw up ensuring the better player sits? Like I said...don't get it.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

And another thing I don't get ....people actually swear Brandon League is gong to close for the Dodgers!?!? You have not one but TWO guys on your roster who have closed games for you before ... and, barring health reasons, you are going to give the job to Mr. Ground Ball instead? With THAT infield? If Jansen is healthy, a K rate like his says League sets up and he closes. Donnie ...we love ya ...but really?

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:And another thing I don't get ....people actually swear Brandon League is gong to close for the Dodgers!?!? You have not one but TWO guys on your roster who have closed games for you before ... and, barring health reasons, you are going to give the job to Mr. Ground Ball instead? With THAT infield? If Jansen is healthy, a K rate like his says League sets up and he closes. Donnie ...we love ya ...but really?

BUT that is a big IF since Jansen has heart problems - they may not bother him but could flare up at any time ..... and don't forget the Dodgers payed League "closer money" ....... now IF Jansen is feeling fine AND League is struggling then they might make a change for as long as they can but likely they will have to turn back to League or Guerra after a while .... sucks but I don't see Jansen being able to carry a full load for a whole season

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:And another thing I don't get ....people actually swear Brandon League is gong to close for the Dodgers!?!? You have not one but TWO guys on your roster who have closed games for you before ... and, barring health reasons, you are going to give the job to Mr. Ground Ball instead? With THAT infield? If Jansen is healthy, a K rate like his says League sets up and he closes. Donnie ...we love ya ...but really?

BUT that is a big IF since Jansen has heart problems - they may not bother him but could flare up at any time ..... and don't forget the Dodgers payed League "closer money" ....... now IF Jansen is feeling fine AND League is struggling then they might make a change for as long as they can but likely they will have to turn back to League or Guerra after a while .... sucks but I don't see Jansen being able to carry a full load for a whole season
I don't disagree with that ...but do you want ground balls being hit to that infield in the 8th or 9th inning of a close game if it's Hanley at short and he doesn't feel like fielding that day?

Edit: And BTW, after having a day to think ... interesting dichotomy, n'est pas? League gets closer money so he closes .... Ross gets starter money so he's in a platoon?